Freestar wheels for 3 gen | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Freestar wheels for 3 gen

Hey Guys,

I recently bought some 18" ford factory freestyle wheels for my girlfirends 02 ford explorer. They have the same wheel pattern but the flang on the wheel is a little thicker then the explorer wheels. When I tried to put the wheel on the lug nuts would only turn 5.5 times before they tighten. I heard minimun amount of turns is 8 for a .5 stud. Anyways is there something different about the freestyle lug nuts or are the studs just longer? Is there anything else I can do with out replacing the studs on the explorer? If that's they case I might have to get some 1 inch spacer with longer studs.

Thanks,
Kevin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you certain they are the right pattern? I thought the Freestar wheels were 5 on 114, the same as the Thunderbird pattern, but different from the Mustang, Ranger and Explorer.

Are the lug nuts seating fully when you tighten them down or are they slightly to the outside or inside?

I put them on and they seem fully seated. Well if they are that then it still shouldn't matter, .002 inches will not make that much of a difference Right? What is the SM for?

How strange... I'm tempted to ask the dealer but I know they will just give me some crap about how their not made for the truck. Everything fits fine and torques fine but I'm just worried about the lugs not having enought threads.

Kevin

Man... I was hoping it wouldn't have to come to that but thanks anyways.

Yeah the wheel sits flush with face of the rotor.

Yeah the lug nuts are open ended. I was thinking about buying some freestyle lug nuts that are closed ended but I don't think that would make a difference.

it may if the seat is a different size or angle, its worth a try before changing out studs.

post pics when you figure it out, I like those wheels bet it looks good.

Ok i'll check to see if the angles on the nuts are different. Hopefully they're not 5 bucks a lug nut at the dealers... I'll get some pictures if i get them on.

Thanks,
Kevin

Back