Front Brakes: How long a job for rotors and pads? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Brakes: How long a job for rotors and pads?

spotted dogs

Reaction score
City, State
merritt, bc, canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ltd 4.0 sohc
I have all the parts but no time to do the job myself as I intended. I have a mechanic I trust and was planning on getting him to do the labour for me.. ie a "cash job"...how long should it take a good mechanic to replace the front pads and rotors. I want to offer him cash but don't want to insult him by lowballing or over pay myself!
thanks...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll take a stab at this.

I haven't done the brakes on an explorer, so I can't say specifically.

But if I were changing the pads/rotors on my Civic, which I've done countless times, I'd easily have the job done inside of 2 hours.

From what I see in my Chilton's manual, there aren't any "gotcha's" that should make it any longer than that.

And, probably, significantly less by a professional, with the right tools etc.

If no problems are run into, front brakes should take no more than an hour. When I'm doing cash brakes, the going rate is $20 per wheel... most guys that I know are in the same area...

Front brakes on a 4WD Gen II Explorer are very easy...2 15mm bolts on each caliper and they lift off. The rotors are just held on by metal clips on the studs. I can do a full front brake job on an Explorer in about 30 minutes with an impact wrench and a good jack...(and jackstands for safety :confused: )

I knew I overshot it!

I knew I could do my brakes in under an hour. But didn't have any particular experience with the X's.

I'm looking forward to installing new pads, and power slot rotors. ;)

Listen to Eneurb!!!!!!!!!!! The advice doesn't get any better!!! He is a FORD mechanic!

Eneurb said:
If no problems are run into, front brakes should take no more than an hour. When I'm doing cash brakes, the going rate is $20 per wheel... most guys that I know are in the same area...

is that USD or CAnadia money?

thats about right, i did the rear brakes on my bosses firechicken ta for $40, he bought me the parts and i used his floorjack

ive done mine pretty recently and even replaced a calliper on the driver side at the same time... 45 minutes top... doing all brakes rotors and calliper...

thanks guys...

I appreciate the advice....like I said I wish i had the free time to do it.

Back