Front drive shaft removal on a 1997 Mercury Mountaineer. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front drive shaft removal on a 1997 Mercury Mountaineer.

Stina

Reaction score
City, State
Troy, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
Hi everyone I am new to this site so I am not really sure how all of this works but I have a late model 1997 Mercury Mountaineer AWD. I am trying to take the front drive shaft off. Can anyone tell me if I have to take the transfer case apart to get the capped end of the shaft out? Please help I am totally stuck here

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no, just remove the 6 bolts.
Although the cup can get "stuck" and may require a rubber mallet or the like to break it loose.
What I would do though myself, since I knew the shaft was toast, was jerk down the front of the shaft a few times and it would break loose.

no, just remove the 6 bolts.
Although the cup can get "stuck" and may require a rubber mallet or the like to break it loose.
What I would do though myself, since I knew the shaft was toast, was jerk down the front of the shaft a few times and it would break loose.

I have tried all sorts of persuasion and still can't get the cup loose from the xfer case. I even yanked so hard that the drive shaft came clear from it. Any other suggestions? (and yes I removed the bolts lol)

I have tried all sorts of persuasion and still can't get the cup loose from the xfer case. I even yanked so hard that the drive shaft came clear from it. Any other suggestions? (and yes I removed the bolts lol)

Hitting it with a BFH is all I can tell ya.

Get a piece of wood or something, and wack it hard as you can. Mine was the same way, acted like it still had bolts attached.

I've used the BFH, I am gonna heat it up tomorrow and see if that frees it up. Wish me luck

:salute:Good Luck!!!

1. Remove the straps from the font U-Joint. Use lots of PB Blaster 30 minutes before work there.
2. Hit that U-Joint with a small hammer to break loose and slide the whole shaft towards BACK of the truck, it will go inside the CV some 1".
3. When the front side drops, you can remove the back from the TC cup. Don't force it there, it might affect the TC.

1. Remove the straps from the font U-Joint. Use lots of PB Blaster 30 minutes before work there.
2. Hit that U-Joint with a small hammer to break loose and slide the whole shaft towards BACK of the truck, it will go inside the CV some 1".
3. When the front side drops, you can remove the back from the TC cup. Don't force it there, it might affect the TC.

He's past this point. As I read it the cup is all that remains on the truck, and extra force has already been applied.

I'd try some sort of wedge ( long screwdriver?) between the transfer case flange and the cub, and a hammer.

I didn't see that he removed the front U-Joint. If so... sorry.

Back