Front end clunking - Sway Bar bushings? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front end clunking - Sway Bar bushings?

bluestream1

Reaction score
City, State
Waterloo Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4X4
I replaced my upper and lower ball joints back in the summer, and this fixed 75% of the front end clunking noise I had. Things are starting to get worse, so I am guessing upper or lower control arm bushings, or sway bar bushings.

The sway bar bushings (what I can see of them) looks fine, and they seem tight when I pull on it. I there any test or procedure to tell if the sway bar bushings are worn out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds pretty serious...

Is the vehicle drivable? What's the clunking sound like, intermittent, rotating? Are you certain it's coming from the area/components you suspect? My 2nd gen did that and it turn out to be the roof rack cross bar was loose, but it sounded like it was coming from the bottom passenger front side. Sorry I can't help more.

Thanks!

The clunking is heard when ever I go over bumps in the road. The inner and outer tie rods are fine, and all ball joints are new. I have spent hours searching this forum, and the only two other things that would cause this are control arm, or sway bar bushing.

Worn sway bar bushing seem to be a popular cause of clunking noises for others, but how can I check mine?

Also, how can we check for play in control arm bushings?

P.S. the roof rack is fine.

Got it... Sounds like a BrooklynBay question regarding the arm bushings.

Here are some pics.. It really doesn't look worn

to replace every sway bar part is about 20 per side and the big sway bar bushings are about 20 bucks also. plus they are red bushing and the look cool

Agreed. Sometimes they look fine but can still be the source of the problem. Grab a couple wrenches and tighten them down HARD and see if that helps. They still may need to be replaced though. Check for the obvious things while your at it. Torque the lugnuts, make sure shock mounts and stuff are tight.

Check your transmission mount bolts. I replaced Upper and lower ball joints, tie rod ends, sway bar links, and sway bar bushings only to find that a bolt fell out of the transmission mount. Just a thought.

Energy Suspension sway bar bushings and end links. Once you start fixing the front end, you have to finish it off. May even try new Hubs/bearing/abs sensor units. i replaced these items all one at a time hunting down a simliar noise. it got better and better. Just general wear on all parts most likely. How many miles on your X? To me those sway bar bushings look bad. Mine were similar and it got VERY tight after I replaced those and the end links. Maybe just crank down on your end link bolts as recommended above. You may also want to check the Shocks. In the pic the lower shock mount looks pretty rusted. if you have over 75k and never replaced them, its time. I did mine at 80k and it was like a new car.

I think I found the problem. The sway bar end links are loose as a goose. I tried briefly to snug them up, but they weren't moving. I will put in some new bushings, and let you know how they work. Many thanks!

Any luck?

bought a new sway bar kit; TRW 18155HD but I can't get my old Links to come off. I have beat them good with a BFH trying to drive the bolt out of the link but no luck. I was going to cut them with a Sawzall or torch unless one else has any ideas??

My OEM parts look a little different that the one in the sticky post on sway bars.

I would just cut the top part of the stud (along with the nut) off with an angle grinder. The new kit you buy should come with a new bolt.

I just did the job over the weekend. I also ran into the same removal issue. One side came out fairly easily, the other side wouldn't budge. I removed the sway bar with stuck end link attatched, rapped the hell out it ...no go. Took a hacksaw to it and that did the job.I wish I had used the saw about an hour earlier. My end links didn't look too bad initially either but changing them solved my clunking issue.

It probably has tons of dirt in it like mine did. I took a vice grip to the tube, and a wrench to the top and torqued each the opposite direction. A PITA if i might say so.

I soaked the links with PB overnight, and drove the truck to work without the swaybar on. I am glad to say that the clunking is gone, so obviosly I had a problem with this even though the rubber parts looked like new. I tried today to crank out the bolts, and the first one I sheared the head off as it was frozen in so tight. The second I grabed with vise grips, and to my surprise the tube cracked open. These links are made out of plastic, and are glued to the bolt inside. I don't think they can be removed without destroying them. When they are installed tightening the bolt does no good as it only snugs up the bottom of the link.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did get them off tonight, and I have bought new TRW kits to go on.

Well they are installed and they work great. Clunking is gone, I would recommend anyone to check these sway bar bushing if you are having front end noise. A cheap and easy fix.

Back