Front-end pop noise on 2012 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front-end pop noise on 2012 Explorer

dgmpam

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer
With my 2012 Explorer sitting still and I turn the wheels from center position just slightly to the right there is a single pop noise and again when I return the wheels to center position. The noise occurs when the steering wheel is in the same position turning right and returning to center. I put my hand on the coil spring over the strut and I can feel the spring move when the pop noise occurs. I am guessing the strut needs to be replaced. I have about 89,000 miles on it. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help.

Dave Marshall

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not as familiar with the 5th Generation explorers, but the pop noise you hear when steering generally indicates a tie rod problem. Do you feel anything in the steering wheel?

Does the pop noise occur when you're moving, or just when standing still?

I'm not as familiar with the 5th Generation explorers, but the pop noise you hear when steering generally indicates a tie rod problem. Do you feel anything in the steering wheel?

Does the pop noise occur when you're moving, or just when standing still?

The pop will sound when moving also. With the vehicle sitting still and I have someone turn the wheels while l have my hand on the coil spring I can feel and even see the spring vibrate with the rhythm of the noise. I see where there have been numerous failures of the strut mounts on this generation of Explorer so I am leaning toward that. Everything linkage wise seems okay on all the steering components. Thanks for your info.

Dave Marshall

I am also inexperienced with 5th gens but my 98 does the same thing. On mine the sway bar linkages in the front look pretty worn and need to be replaced and I believe the pop in mine is from the sway bar and linkages shifting around. Give yours a look as the linkages are relatively cheap and easy to fix. Good luck and I hope this helps.

I was told by my local Dealer that this noise is actually from the lower control arm bushings. Not sure if this applies to your issue, but may give you a starting point.

My 2011 was doing exactly what you described. I assumed it was sway bar end links or strut mounts. Took it to the dealer and the tech said it was due to worn struts. Having struts replaced. Should get it back this afternoon. Once I get the truck back, I'll update as to whether this fixed the issue.

My 2011 was doing exactly what you described. I assumed it was sway bar end links or strut mounts. Took it to the dealer and the tech said it was due to worn struts. Having struts replaced. Should get it back this afternoon. Once I get the truck back, I'll update as to whether this fixed the issue.
Thanks for all the responses. Found out my passenger side strut mount bearing had failed. Replaced the struts and everything seems fine at the moment. Thanks again.

Back from the dealer with new struts. All is quiet again. Drives like new.

Back from the dealer with new struts. All is quiet again. Drives like new.
Thanks for reporting back.

Peter (FN25)

Strut bearings. A common problem with Explorers.

I can actually see my drivers side coil spring move while turning the steering wheel. It makes a clunk sound when it moves. Does that indicate a bad strut?

Most likely the strut bearing.
$200 to replace at typical shop with alignment.
If your car has over 80k I would consider replacing strut and strut bearings in front. Maybe $500 or $600 job.

If you hold your hand on spring and someone turns wheel lock to lock you can feel little pops as you turn. This is a failing strut bearing.

Most likely the strut bearing.
$200 to replace at typical shop with alignment.
If your car has over 80k I would consider replacing strut and strut bearings in front. Maybe $500 or $600 job.

If you hold your hand on spring and someone turns wheel lock to lock you can feel little pops as you turn. This is a failing strut bearing.

Thanks. That’s exactly what’s going on.

I brought my 2013 Ford Explorer Limited in today. The is a pop coming from front of the vehicle when I'm stopped and I turn the wheel all the way to the left. The Dealer was able to replicate the problem, but doesn't know what it is for sure. They told me that my transmission mount had collapsed and that they would tighten everything up and replace that. The explanation for the noise was that the transmission mount may be putting stress on other parts. I showed them answers from this forum and they said that the strut's were there original assumption, but after checking them it was determined that they were not the cause. Any thoughts on this.

Back