• Register Today It's free!

Front left wheel noise

Nicholes Stanley

Reaction score
City, State
Salt Lake City Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
I recently noticed a noise coming from the front left tire of my 97 explorer xlt awd. I checked the brakes and they were good. Then I replaced the hub assembly, and made sure my differential had fluid. It is still making a growling noise. Did I need to grease the new hub, or is my cv axle bad

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you hear it more when you are turning, i would suggest your axle. also, give a shake on your sway bar in the front and see if that has some jiggle too. but i would say to jack up that wheel and shake it at 12 & 6 and 3 & 9 and see if it moves at all. if there is play it would suggest some of the problems you are having and thinking about.

how is the tire? Maybe switch them

if you hear it more when you are turning, i would suggest your axle. also, give a shake on your sway bar in the front and see if that has some jiggle too. but i would say to jack up that wheel and shake it at 12 & 6 and 3 & 9 and see if it moves at all. if there is play it would suggest some of the problems you are having and thinking about.
I agree with 96, switch the tires see if the noise moves.
I rotated my tires as well. The only thing I can think of is the possibility of the axle nut not being torqued down enough so fthe bearing was damaged or the cv axle but the signs don't point to the cv. No popping it doesn't get worse when I turn the boots are good. I will have to lift it and check the new hub

I rotated my tires as well. The only thing I can think of is the possibility of the axle nut not being torqued down enough so fthe bearing was damaged or the cv axle but the signs don't point to the cv. No popping it doesn't get worse when I turn the boots are good. I will have to lift it and check the new hub
Be sure to rent a torque wrench with a 250 ft/lb max (Autozone has it). In a pinch you can take your weight and stand x inches on a breaker bar. Torque to 157-213 ft/lbs per service manual. What brand of hub did you use? Some cheap ones can be bad out of the box. Incorrect torque (much higher or lower) could cause bearing issues. People have removed CV joints, drove around and the wheel actually fell off, so you see the importance of proper torque.

Back