Front locker concerns on the IFS

jobunn

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Santa Clarita, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport 4x4
In the event that someone (ARB, Killer Axles, etc.) does eventually make a locker for the late model IFS Explorers, how do you think the front end (CV joints, auto hubs, etc. ) will hold up with the added torque off road?

How have the IFS front ends been holding up for the few of you that have made front locker work on the IFS?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

they should hold up reasonably well... to date, i haven't heard of anyone lifted 95+ blow a cv when wheeling..... i know though, that you probably can't make a turn at all when locked, especially with the ifs.. i have an open front diff, and when in 4wd i can barely turn and that is in a 94

I haven't done any hard wheeling (I've done many short local runs though) since I put my front locker in, but I haven't had an problems that are locker related yet.

However, I've replaced both hub assemblies, both half shafts, and both inner tie rod ends in that time, probably just due to running the 35's a year now. But all this was stuff that was slowly going bad, not something I broke on a trail.

I have only done some mild-moderate off-roading with the locker, and so far eveything is A-OK. I probably have 500 miles off offroading on my No-Slip and 3000 miles total. I ran the entire Mojave Road in 4WD (130 miles) and it did great.

--Sean

If you used something like the Powertrax No-Slip, then you should be able to turn if you can back off the throttle and coast. If you're in a situation were you can't, or you've got to apply continuous throttle and turn it could be a problem though. I haven't had that problem since I've got a Torsen in the front of the FX4 (sorry Sean, had to rub it in :D)...

CV Joints break when you bend your tie-rod to nearly a 90 degree angle and the wheel turns farther than the CV joint expected. :D

410710120125.jpg
410710120123.jpg

Just to note... I don't know about the regular X's, but the Sport Trac doesn't have any auto or manual hub whatsoever. If the wheels are spinning, then so are the CV joints and vice versa.

Originally posted by Ranger Rick
I haven't had that problem since I've got a Torsen in the front of the FX4 (sorry Sean, had to rub it in :D)...
Rick, Enlighten us here on Explorerforum.com. Is it just because you work at Torsen that you get to have one in the front diff? Or is Torsen going to production on one for our front diffys?

Originally posted by Johnstone
. . .Just to note... I don't know about the regular X's, but the Sport Trac doesn't have any auto or manual hub whatsoever. If the wheels are spinning, then so are the CV joints and vice versa.

Unless they look like yours :D

Originally posted by Johnstone
Rick, Enlighten us here on Explorerforum.com. Is it just because you work at Torsen that you get to have one in the front diff? Or is Torsen going to production on one for our front diffys?
We developed a D35 unit for the SLA axle to support Rob MacCachren's BITD Ranger. Its a prototypish design, and we only made a handful. I've got one that was used in his race truck last season (same for my rear axle too).

We likely would, however, consider offering it to the Ranger/Explorer community if there turned out to be enough of a market for it. So far, I haven't seen that there is. Desertspive has been helping trying to drum up interest in it elsewhere, but generally the response has been poor. It works against us that the SLA D35 is different from the TTB D35. What I don't know is how much different, and if those differences are reconcilable in a small production volume. If they were, then the unit would have a broader appeal, I think.

We have plenty of options for the TTB 35. It's the SLA 35 owners who need support and there have been a LOT of those guys just dieing for a solution.

If you're intersted to see what kind of demand there is we could post a poll on this site. We have 14,000 members to work with here.

Originally posted by Rick
If you're intersted to see what kind of demand there is we could post a poll on this site. We have 14,000 members to work with here.
Its fine with me if you want to do that. We had a similar poll at ORR a while back, and only 10 or 12 people expressed any real interest. But since the Explorer carried that axle a bit longer then the Ranger, maybe there's something here...

Sounds good. I just went to your website to find a description to use in the thread. I see you have several different types. Which one would be used in this application? Do you have a ballpark price? That's always one of the first questions.

Thanks,

Rick

Its a T-2, and has a torque bias ratio of about 2.4:1. I would guess that in lower aftermarket volumes it would be in the $5-600 ballpark. Again, this is a wild guess. That is, however, the thing that will always keep Torsen a small player in the aftermarket - retail price. 95% of our business is OEM. Its worth it my opinion, but I'm biased :D. My experience is that its totally transparent in the front the truck during normal driving, but helps a great deal when needed...

Originally posted by TarHeel085
hey ill be more than happy to see how well it works in the Explorer SLA D35! you know a prototypish one ;)
Been there, done that. One of the first vehicles we tried it in was a '97 Eddie Bauer. We had a bit of fun with that one...

????

Okay, I am lost. I posted both of these threads here on Ex Forum at the same time I posted at ORR. There was almost "0" intrest from you guys. Whenever something like this comes up, I always tap you guys since you are such a big resource. Trust me, I want a front Torsen. I love my rear Torsen.

This one was from January:
Dead Link Removed

This one is from June:
Dead Link Removed

--Sean

Don't know what to tell ya Sean. I did start another thread here Dead Link Removed

It could be people were still waiting for ARB to do something at that time. It could be there's not enough interest. We'll see.

Originally posted by Rick

It could be people were still waiting for ARB to do something at that time. It could be there's not enough interest. We'll see.

You have a good point there.

--Sean

Originally posted by Ranger Rick
Its a T-2, and has a torque bias ratio of about 2.4:1.
Rick, just wondering, do you have any idea how that compares to other LS's, say TracLok or Auburn? I don't know their numbers. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by DesertSpive
Okay, I am lost. I posted both of these threads here on Ex Forum at the same time I posted at ORR. There was almost "0" intrest from you guys.
Sean, Rick, Rick, and anyone else;

The problem with threads like Sean's or a Poll that Rick might setup is that not all the members logon everyday and browse all the messages that have been posted since they last logged in.

If you really want to know if all the SLA owners are interested in this or that. Then somehow there needs to be a field in the registry database for SLA and Rick or one of the other Moderators can send an email informing all SLA owners of the Poll thread at the site.

For myself, I already have a LockRight installed in my front diff. I'll have to see how it performs over the next year. Truckhaven shouldn't prevent much of a problem for it, given that the terrain is mostly dirt. Places like Moab will be the real test, where most of the terrain is rock that has a sandpaper like surface.

I have serious doubts that there will ever be an on/off locker for the Ford SLA diffs. But, it would have been nice to have an alternative choice to the No Slip or LockRight that might be better in the turns when torque is being applied in 4wd mode.
In 2wd mode I have no problems whatsoever. You have to be going sub 5mph and turning to even know the LockRight is there. Even then you just can barely feel the clicking through the steering wheel. There is no audible noise from inside the cab.

Just my .02 cents.

Back