Front Shock Help

xshift28x

Reaction score
City, State
Katy, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey everyone,
I have a lifted 2001 ex with some fox long travel shocks and custom shock hoops and whoever did the work on it (I bought it already done like this) butchered the work. I have 32" A/T tires on it right now and would like to keep them but I also want to go back to the normal shock set-up with a better aftermarket shock and get rid of the shock hoop. The only problem is the fab shop that did the lift removed the stock upper shock mount. So I guess my question is is does anyone know where I can buy some new front upper shock mounts? Will I still be able to clear my 32" tires? And can anyone recommend some good after market shocks that won't break the bank?

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ill trade you

hahah I'll keep that in mind

Shock hoops and shocks for towers and shocks lol Id put up some pics of what you are running so maybe we could understand why you want to convert back to stock begin with. You said it was a butcher job but in what manner. Most would love that form of conversion.

Haha sorry I tend to think I have the right verbiage on this stuff

explorer2.jpg

Basically when they welded in the new upper shock mount they didn't do a good job of making sure both sides were identical so one shock sits at more of an angle than the other one, which is the shock I'm thinking is shot. I want to go back to a stock setup just for the fact that if something happened to the shocks I have the option to throw in some decent replacements that won't break the bank. I'm looking at close to $400 just in shocks if I replace these and really I don't have much need for a pre-runner front set up as this is mainly my daily driver with a wheeling trip maybe once every 6 months.

Hey everyone,
I have a lifted 2001 ex with some fox long travel shocks and custom shock hoops and whoever did the work on it (I bought it already done like this) butchered the work. I have 32" A/T tires on it right now and would like to keep them but I also want to go back to the normal shock set-up with a better aftermarket shock and get rid of the shock hoop. The only problem is the fab shop that did the lift removed the stock upper shock mount. So I guess my question is is does anyone know where I can buy some new front upper shock mounts? Will I still be able to clear my 32" tires? And can anyone recommend some good after market shocks that won't break the bank?

thanks

Let me know if you want your sell those shocks, with or without the hoops. Will gladly take them off your hands :-D
Btw: You should he able to clear the 32" tires. I have 33" tires and don't have long travel shocks

Hey everyone,

thanks

Let me know if you want your sell those shocks, with or without the hoops. Will gladly take them off your hands :-D

Ill trade you

hahah I'll keep that in mind

Actually, this might be the best option. Since the stock mounts were cut out, it might be kinda hard to weld new ones in without making things worse. A trade with both parties willing to work out the issues might just be the best bet. The suspension "looks" familiar, is this truck 2wd?

I will definitely keep you in the loop if I end up being able to switch them out I will gladly sell them to you.

Actually, this might be the best option. Since the stock mounts were cut out, it might be kinda hard to weld new ones in without making things worse. A trade with both parties willing to work out the issues might just be the best bet. The suspension "looks" familiar, is this truck 2wd?

It is a 4wd. I love the car and I'm in the process of fabricating some things for it so I really don't want to trade it. I'm not worried about welding in new mounts, I work at my family's metal fabrication shop so between my dad and I we can tackle the welding.

Lol I wasn't talking about trading trucks just tower for loops. But in all honesty id I were you id pick up some plate steel and make your own. Short and sweet and a lot tougher and you could set them at any height you want

I will definitely keep you in the loop if I end up being able to switch them out I will gladly sell them to you.

Thanks man! I'll keep the cash ready for ya :thumbsup:

Lol I wasn't talking about trading trucks just tower for loops. But in all honesty id I were you id pick up some plate steel and make your own. Short and sweet and a lot tougher and you could set them at any height you want

Any way you could maybe shoot me a picture of the stock set up and some measurements?

Back