• Register Today It's free!

Shock length and performance

kyleCAfire

Reaction score
City, State
Walnut Creek, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96' XLT
I need some input on this. I'm upgrading some things on my truck. Tires (falken rocky mountain), shocks (???), balljoints (dana spicer), etc. As far as my shocks go i don't know what to do, i wanted to upgrade to maybe a fox shock or maybe sway-a-way. I was thinking an emulsion type shock. But before they build me one i need to know the collapsed and extended length of the shock. Does anyone know this. My truck has a basic torsion twist right now with new leafs in back. 32" tires with a 2 inch tt, will this factor into the equation for a new shock? Also does anyone have experience with these? Should i upgrade to a remote reservoir style or is it worth it. I like to drive fast and do a little mild offroading. Please inform me on what to do. I just really could use the added performance. Thank you.

I think that those shocks would be completely overkill for stock suspension and would be extremely limited in how they could help you. If you are planning on doing a coil over front end, then they would make sense.

If you want to upgrade you shocks, a mono tube would be the logical choice. Monotube disate heat better than twin tube shocks (stock). Bilstein or KBY make monotube shocks that should fit.

Just so you know, the reason to upgrade your shocks is the unsprung weight is increased from stock with bigger and agressive tread tires, or more agreesive driving. A shock uses oil passing through limited openings (valving) to dampen spring ossilation. The spring wants to go up and down and up and down.... It need to be controled by the shoek absorber. This creates heat in the shock. To much heat and the oil boils and looses its ability to control the spring. We call this shock fade. Shocks are all about valving and heat disipation. If you get on a washboard gravel road and drive fast, you can really notice it. It will feel like you are driveing on bumpy ice. So if you are currently experincing shock fade, then yes you need to upgrade your shocks. I have found that the Bilstien 5100s are an excelent shock for a mildly build rig, on most trails.

Thank you for the input. I have been considering the bilstein 5100's. I think i need to supply them with the extended and collapsed length of the current shock (ranchos). And as for coilovers, i am eventually getting the dbr lt kit. But due to school i cant afford it.

Back