fuel gauge, running rough help!! (edit) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

fuel gauge, running rough help!! (edit)

offroadjosh

Reaction score
City, State
Kila Montana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4wd
had a fire call last night(im a volunteer firefighter), went running out to my truck jumped in, it started hard(cranked for longer than normal) fired up ran fine, went on my way to the fire station, hit full throttle several times ran good all the way there, get there shut it off and jump in rescue, headed off. ok-- back from the call we had a meeting at the station, after the meeting i went out to start my truck, and it cranked but no start (after several tries) finally started ran really rough 500-2000rpm then i shut it down, and it wouldnt restart... fuel gauge said 1/4 tank left, went and got 5 gal of gas, filled it and turned the key on and off several times, cranked on it for maybe 5 sec maybe a bit longer, it fired up ran really rough again then smoothed out and has run fine since then... even at 7 degrees this morning.. any ideas? is my fuel gauge bad and i just ran outta fuel? or is this possibly something else??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

could be several things... fuel pump, lines, MAF may need cleaning amongst other things. Have you changed your fuel filter l8ly? try changing your fuel filtert and add a bottle of fuel system cleaner next time you fill up and see if it fixes the problem. If not theres a good chance its ur fuel pump. My friend Cory has had the same problem and he is in the middle of fixing it. Someone sold him a faulty fuel pump so hes working on getting a refund and trying to get a new one.

could be several things... fuel pump, lines, MAF may need cleaning amongst other things. Have you changed your fuel filter l8ly? try changing your fuel filtert and add a bottle of fuel system cleaner next time you fill up and see if it fixes the problem. If not theres a good chance its ur fuel pump. My friend Cory has had the same problem and he is in the middle of fixing it. Someone sold him a faulty fuel pump so hes working on getting a refund and trying to get a new one.

fuel filter was changed 6months ago, maf is been cleaned, also add fuel clean ever 5 tanks. it seems now thou at stop lights if i stop in drive the whole truck kinda shakes like the engine is lugging down....

Josh

anyone else?????????

Josh

yup definately sounds like ur fuel pump going out :S

Back