Fuel Level Input Sensor Bad? need fuel pump? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Level Input Sensor Bad? need fuel pump?

KNTMR

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport
so i have had an issue for a couple of weeks now and noticed that it has gotten worse and worse. at first i thought it was my trransmission going bad after it was just rebuilt with 10k miles on it. but then a week later it wasn;t just at WOT but even at idle it just boggs alot. final aafter two weeks the problem got bad enough for the computer to recognize it as an issue.

autozone ran the code for me and got a P0604 code. for my 02 explorer sport it is the fuel level sending unit's condition. most likely it has failed.

my question is this. i was told that this unit is a part of the fuel pump? so if i change the fuel pump it corrects my issue? (if this is what is causing the problem of course)

my second question is going to be. i am all bout modifying so, would a cobra fuel pump fit in? and would it be worth the money or would a 255LPH fuel pump made for my car off ebay be reliable enough? ( so random in house brand pump but he also sells walbro pumps for 30 bucks more)

basically i think i am willing to sped the little extra for a walbro pump for the cobra if it would easily swap in and fit. but will it? any thought are appreciated.

never mind. just got it back from the shop and my ecu, and harness are fried in many places. just needs replacing i guess. :(

Back