Fuel line help

PAfordman

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 ford edxplorer sport
Hi Everyone
I am new to this board and I hope that someone can help. I have a 92 explorer and I am in the process of replacing the in tank pump. The fuel lines that connect to the tank are all bad as they are rotted. I need all 3 lines. These lines are braided on each end and have a solid center section. They are appx 3 ft long, and have the duckbill connector on each end. Ford no longer sells this part claiming its obsolete. I scoured the junk yards here in PA and NO one has those lines. They tell me that when they "process" junk cars, they remove the tank and the lines together. So, I have a new pump with no lines and my car is on jackstands totally disabled. I am at a total loss as to what to do next. I will gladly purchase these lines used from anyone here that has them. Why does ford do these things? Thanks in advance

Benj

Did you check with kbabiak here? I don't know if where he is is one of the places you called but it is worth a shot.

~Mark

You could make and run new lines; you can buy high pressure fuel hose from any auto parts store and clamps. The system generally runs at about 40 PSI so your work had better hold up to that.

Manufacturing your own lines might be the ideal way to go. I make all my own in my garage. A few tips about hoses and tubes from my experience as an aircraft hydraulic technician:

Correct Size. Not having the same diameter can impact flow and pressure. Size is measured in 16ths. For example: a #4 line is 4/16", or 1/4" diameter.

Material Compatibility. Metal is seldom impacted by petroleum products. The interior lining of hose can be. However, if you're buying your hose from a car shop like NAPA or AutoZone, I'd be willing to bet you'll be fine.

Tube Manufacturing. You could do all the math and calculate springback and such, or eyeball-engineer the line yourself. Avoid tight bends if possible, as that can flatten, wrinkle, or crack the tube. Having the right tube bender really helps in avoiding those problems. If you don't have a tube bender, you can fill tubing with a medium, like fine sand, and bend it the old-fashioned way, but be very careful. If you need to flare, try to keep it as even as possible and take it slow and easy, maybe practice a few times before doing the real thing. A crack in the flare will leak.

Flexible Hose Manufacturing. Wire braid lines look awesome and there are advantages/disadvantages to both. When using hose, make sure to leave a little room for movement. If it is tight, this puts stress the entire assembly and can rupture the hose, usually at the fitting, but really anywhere can rupture. Hoses usually leak at the fitting, so proper construction is important.

Fittings. What you're attaching your hose/tube to is just as important as the hose/tube itself. Corrosion is nasty and can plug up your stuff. Cross-threading can lead to bad seals and leaks. Worn fittings can do the same.

~Rob

Back