Fuel Pump and Gas Gauge Questions - URGENT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Pump and Gas Gauge Questions - URGENT

MuscleJunkie

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Ford Explorer LTD AWD
Had an issue the other day (during 100+ degree temps) that I went out to the Explorer and it would not start. Cranked not issue, but it seemed that no gas was getting to engine.

Listened for the fuel pump noise/priming when turning the key to position 1 and didn't hear that.

Had it towed to the shop and they report truck started no issues.

Could fuel pump being going bad and intermittently stop working? I have never had this issue before. Truck has 205,000 now.

The gas gauge doesn't work and I've read that is also related to the fuel pump assembly somehow.

Looking to have this fixed so the no start condition doesn't repeat in less than ideal circumstances. Also would like the gas gauge to work again.

They have quoted me $167.40 for the fuel pump assembly part but I am thinking it might be better to buy that on my own.

Any recommendations on what I will need to replace the fuel pump (if that is what is needed) and correct the gas gauge issue at the same time?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

167 for the entire assembly is a good price quoted from a shop. Replacing the pump will probably cure both problems. although, there is a 4 pin wore harness which could have a bad connection, chances are the float is rusted thru and you need a new one. The fuel pump assembly has all of this included.

Changing the fuel pump means dropping the fuel tank or cutting a hole in the floor. Are you capable of doing this? only you know that.

It is not a beginner job for sure, and you will have issues with the fuel line disconnects.

Could fuel pump being going bad and intermittently stop working?
I could also see the fuel pump relay doing the same thing (failing open when hot) or the EEC relay.

Thanks all. Few more questions

Any links on where to buy the fuel pump assembly that I would need so I can compare pricing. Oh - the price is $223.98 for the fuel pump assembly and $167.40 for the labor. Sorry

Where is the fuel pump relay and EEC relay? How much to replace them (part cost then labor) and where to buy?

check your relay first. mine over heated last summer, replace fuel pump for nothing. it was relay.

Since the gauge does not work, my bet is on the pump--wiring at the pump plug ( connector).

from the vitamin d link in my signature.

002.jpg

001.jpg

I lucked out and finally found one on ebay for 75.00, but it is usually a 300.00 part. If you need to budget this,
rockauto parts has a replacement.

SPECTRA PREMIUM Part # SP380H Includes Fuel Pump, Sender, Float and Strainer

$83.76

Since you mention your gauge is also not working, look at the fuel pump connector right inboard of the driver rear tire, on the inboard side of the frame rail.The picture above shows you what it looks like. Disconnect it and clean the contacts inside and re connect it. MAybe have someone look at the gas gauge, while you listen for the fuel pump as you jiggle the connector around. ( looking for a bad connection here)

As mentioned, the relays can be swapped around but if the problem is intermittent it could be hard to pinpoint.

Advanced auto parts has a pump and sending unit combo for right around 90 dollars and have it in stock.

I had similar intermittent warm start issues. Drive for 30 minutes, park in sun, leave it for an hour, come back, it starts and idles like it's on 4 or 5 cylinders. I was hoping to catch it in the act with my new fuel pressure gauge, but today it beat me to it and would not start at all.

Pressed the pressure port in with a nail, got nothing but a little air pressure. No noise from pump at start. Swapped relays, checked inertial switch, everything ok. Get it home, verify fuel pump failed. Easy replacement, thanks to the instructions and encouragement here.

i had same problem was the fuel pump relay, a shop more then likely wont tell you its the relay because they want the money from labor on the fuel pump exhange

good way to check
take a relay from something that works like A/C or ABS and switch them.

i had it happen a couple times, just how old our trucks are and they are orig relays. first time i was like everyone else...

wtf wont start, try 100 times notice no noise have it towed and wow started

second time i had a power surge through the system and would start/wont start/ would start yanked relay from a/c put in fuel relay place, started right up

third was the same thing, i knocked the relay lose and just had to put it back in. from my understanding its hard to kill an actual fuel pump

Thanks everyone. It turns out it was the relay.

When purchasing replacement relays - is it best to buy Genuine Ford sealed relays or the cheap ones from AutoZone that are not sealed and seem to come apart if you pull them out too hard.

I have been fine with the Adavnce/Autozone relays. If you are worried about moisture and dirt, just smear a layer of silicone all over the whole thing. I always keep a spare in my glove box anyways.

Back