• Register Today It's free!

Fuel pump float.

jacob

Reaction score
City, State
Bremerton, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
So I know some of you just bought the float for your fuel pump. When I called the dealership they said I would have to buy the entire fuel pump. Auto Zone said the same thing.. Does anyone know where I can buy just the float? Any places online?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Usually you can either buy the whole assembly or the sending unit and fuel pump separately... I have not heard of being able to just buy the float. In most cases if the float is gone the sending unit cannot be far behind, so it would be wise to replace it as well (cheap money compared to dropping the tank again). The sending units zinc plated steel lines are prone to rust through over time and develope small pin hole gas leaks..

My guage isn't working. Well, sort of works if its warm outside. I'm probably going to replace the float also. From what I've read on other forums here is that you have to buy the whole thing.

How hard is it to drop the tank?

Search on "Fuel Pump" and you'll find lots of info such as Do-it myself fuel pump.. Also see the fuel pump section in the maintenance link in my sig line for info on replacing the pump. The biggest challenge is dealing with rusted hardware and using the fuel line disconnect tool(s)... You will need to drain the tank completely to be able to move it around and work it back into postion, otherwise it is just too heavy to work with.

A while back, I bought just the float from the dealer for $5.00
I would think any major ford dealer would have it. The problem is, they are made of copper and after some time they develope a hole and then they fill up with gas. When I did mine I diid not even have to discountect the fuel lines. I'm suprised you are having a hard time finding one.

BP_93explorer said:
My guage isn't working. Well, sort of works if its warm outside. I'm probably going to replace the float also. From what I've read on other forums here is that you have to buy the whole thing.

How hard is it to drop the tank?

Sounds like the float has a hole in it. When it is warm out the gas evaporates from inside of the float ball. When it is colder out that is when you gauge will not work at all beacasue it is not warm enough for the gas to evaporate from the float

float #?

Does anyone know the part number to that float? I almost had my local parts counter dude convinced he'd found the right number but then he talked to the guy "who's been doing this for 35 years" and came back with the response that I'd have to buy the whole pump/sender assembly at nearly $200. He also said it was a plastic float. Anybody know for sure it's brass in my '91 4WD? If so, I might risk the time it would take to pull it and attempt a solder repair.
Thanks for any help you can offer.

It is brass. I just handed the guy at the dealer the part number and he got it for me. I'll try and find the number tonight when I'm home. If not just search on google groups, that's how I found it the first time. It was about $5. Haven't put it in yet, just waiting for a good weekend to do it.

Thanks very much.
The number I found at Google Groups is: COAZ-9202-B
If it works out for me, I'll post later.

Yep, that's it. Even compared it to the float on the pump/sender assembly he wanted to sell me. It's always possible I have some other problem but at least I'll have a float in hand once I find the time to drop the tank. Thanks again.

Fixed the gage sender in my '91 4WD XL yesterday.
Float # COAZ-9202-B, about 6 bucks from Ford.
Gasket and lock ring, Help!-brand # MTM55811, about $8 from Crow-Burlingame.
Lisle #37000, fuel line disconnect tool set, from C-B, worked fine for the smaller of the two lines at the pump/sender unit (the return line?) but no size in the kit would separate the larger of the two. $8
The scissor-shaped tool from O'Reilly, W83131, got it with a little effort. $7.
Some search terms - fuel gage gauge sender sending unit pump float part number numbers tool

Thanks for the info. My fuel guage just quit on my 91' explorer and I come here first whenever i have a problem.

i also had troubles with my fuel sending circuit. tryed the splash baffel chip mounted into the dash board and only after thet $60 did i decide to look deeper , finding that my brass float was full of gas in my 93 ex sport 2x4. i for testing purposes took a perscription bottel found 2 o-rings that fit tightly around iot then snapped the float retaining ring between the o-rings and actually havet removed them yet and it is working great . been about 11 months since this fix so i think its good to go.

Yes I'm digging in the graves for this post....

but i seem to have the same problem with my gauge not working. Do I need a new float - or a new pump completely? My car has been running good, so I think the pump is still working. but would just picking up this : http://www.amazon.com/Ford-COAZ-9202-B-FLOAT-ASY/dp/B000O0PR5O work?

Thanks.

When I got my explorer the fuel gauge did not work. After troubleshooting it I discovered that the float had a hole in it. Anyway, I went to the local parts house (O'Reillys) and purchased a universal plastic float for about $1.50 and installed it. That was about 4 years ago and the fuel gauge is still working like it should.

I'm with the earlier post - if you're going to go to the trouble of dropping the tank, do all that you can afford to be sure that you won't have to do it again soon. I intend to drop the tank and replace the sending unit as well as the float. I've replaced quite a number of sending units over the years, and with the exception of a boat gas tank it's never been easy or simple.

I don't know, I replaced my float which was rotten with one from an S-10 (foam) when I bought the Ex in 07. Been working fine and I haven't dropped the tank since.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back