Full width Dana 44 and 8.8 under Ranger | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Full width Dana 44 and 8.8 under Ranger

I don't have near as many pretty pics as most of you, and no build pics, but it works pretty damn well. Using the generic forklift test the front tires come 42" off the ground before a rear tire lifts, and both rearts lift bfore the front will, which Im thought kinda odd. I don't have any wheelin pics, but the two supplied are from a trip to Tellico last year....poor things been on the road ever since. Any queastions, let me know. Coda
980213-009.jpg
980213-010.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, umm.................KICKASS!!!
thumbsup.gif

Did you need to space out you upper coil buckets to line up with the bottom? Why did you go with the 8.8? Already disc'd?

I may have a bunch of questions for you in the near future, I hope you don't mind.;)

Originally posted by Robb
Well, umm.................KICKASS!!!
thumbsup.gif

Did you need to space out you upper coil buckets to line up with the bottom? Why did you go with the 8.8? Already disc'd?

I may have a bunch of questions for you in the near future, I hope you don't mind.;)

robb you going to 44??

i know your not SAS it sine well YOU already have that :rolleyes:

PEACE

No spacers...

72 f-100 coil buckets are wider and space the coils just right....I feel the 8.8 is plenty strong, seen it withstand EXTREME abuse w/ 38" SX's, and they're cheap..nope, it's drums in back....this thing stopps on a dime..... Coda

Srry i didnt say anything b4 bout your truck.

Its a VERY nice ranger, i like it alot.

PEACE

Yea, I don't think you will have any problems with the 8.8, I was just wondering.

Sounds like you have a created a nice offroad/onroad combo. Congrats!

Kid.........No, just learning.

NICE!!! How about more info? Like what gears, lockers, what year truck, what drivetrain??? :D

well....

95, 3.slow, 5.13's, welded rear, ezlocker front, cutom coils from valley spring works, 4" skyjacker leaf, longer shackles,

future plans..ie, 2-3 months, remove beed and build exo cage, longer rear shock mounts, $$$ willing an atlas, but preferably, and cheaper, would be a 5.0 swap.

Coda

Very nice man. I missed what size tires you were running??

37" MTR's right now

Found some more pics..old stuff really

5678751.2002020342.jpg

5678750.2002020341.jpg

5678368.2002020304.jpg

5678757.2002020348.jpg

5678756.2002020347.jpg

Is that Rich Mtn.? Very nice looking ranger, hope to see you on a run somewhere, or at least running around Atlanta.

yeah

thats Rich Mtn...play place. It's a trail rig now, but used to be a DD. I haven't wheeled in to long cause of work, hopefully this winter I'll get out there and up to Tellico, maybe Gray Rock in Ala. Coda

what size tires and springs did you use

one more question

can you list some of the mods you made and show how the front axle is set up, is the 8.8 full size? i am asking because i am currently sas my explorer

I'm running 4" Skyjacker leafs w/ belltech shackles, 37" MT/R's, and the coils were made by Valley Spring Works, 6" 79 F150 lift, sprung for a 3.0 Ranger. Yes, both axles are full width. Stock radius arms, the frame is the same width, you can use the F150 radius arm brackets, I should have, the coil buckets are from an early 70's 2wd F100, w/ are 3" wider per side than the 4wd ones. Perfectly locates the coils over the perches. Anything else? Coda

Coda,

Thanks for the info about the 2wd coil towers. I got a set of the 4wd towers and was worried about the spacing. I know my local yard has several 70s 2wds sitting in it, but I never even looked at them for the buckets.

Do you remember if the towers were riveted or bolted on? That way I know what to take out to the yard.:)

ya i picked up d44 today and i say how far the buckets are apart i was worried thanks. what should you have done with the radious arm brackets how would they work. what did you do?

Stock radius arms, the frame is the same width, you can use the F150 radius arm brackets, I should have,

I didn't use them. I'd use the factory radius arm brackets from the 78-9 and slide them all the way up to the front body mount, locating the axle forward and allowing you to run much bigger tires in the future w/o getting into the firewall. The coil buckets are rivoted on, and are a ******* to get off. Coda

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks this is helping so much. I have a d44 out of a 78 bronco and i think it will work the same. if you have the time can you post some pics of the underbody, you have one up top, but no pics of the radius arm brackets you are talking about. your truck looks sick with the 37s

Back