Full Width SAS and 302 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Full Width SAS and 302

Well, the engine and third transmission have gone on a permanent vacation now on my truck. Guess all of those hard miles, 35's and 4.56s added up. Now I am justified in swapping to a solid axle and a 302. I cant seem to find much info about using full width axles. I already have a D44 and 9 inch from a late 70s F150. I want more than just the seven inches of lift I have now with the TTB and 8.8. In fact, I want to be able to run at least 39.5 or 42 inch tires. I dont know if anyone has run tires that big on a explorer that visits this site but I would like to hear from them if they have. I am trying to decide between coils and leaf springs for the front end. I have now retired my explorer from daily driving and WILL be doing this swap this summer. I have been talking about it for too long. I already have a carburated 302 and am also wondering how difficult it is to use that, as opposed to purchasing a EFI unit. Finally, message me if you are interested in any of the following parts when they become available: trail master 4 inch lift brackets for the front end, rear 8.8 with installed 4.56 gears from Genuine gear, front TTB with working factory auto hubs, BRAND NEW, NOT INSTALLED Precision Gear 4.56s with new install kit for dana 35, BRAND NEW Superwinch manual hubs with conversion kit from auto hubs for Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do a little search on the site. We have covered all that you've mentioned. Search for Ultimate D44 and member handles OKnut or CoryL. Have fun!

Originally posted by Day
In fact, I want to be able to run at least 39.5 or 42 inch tires. I dont know if anyone has run tires that big on a explorer that visits this site but I would like to hear from them if they have.

A D44 and 9" won't hold a 42" tire for very long. Infact, the D44 might blow a ujoint from the fear of have a 42" tire put on it.

With a V6 and an automatic you could get away with 38s on a D44 IF you get alloy axleshafts and CTM joints. Otherwise about the largest tire stock would be a 36".

If you are hell bent on tires that large, sell those axles and get some D60s.

I am trying to decide between coils and leaf springs for the front end.

Go with coils. The end outcome is much better. I've done both leaf and coil conversions and the outcome with coils is always better.

I already have a carburated 302 and am also wondering how difficult it is to use that, as opposed to purchasing a EFI unit.

It will be easier to get the carbed motor running under the hood, but for wheeling it will SUCK. Especially if you like rocks and off-camber stuff. I'd personally get fuel injection installed.

Yeah, 38's will work on your 44 only if you get the CTM's and alloys, Superior just came out with some that look better than the Warns. Anything above that and the ball joints start to fail. But, some lighter rigs are running 39.5's w/o much breakage on HP44's with the above mentioned set-up. If you haven't bought an axle just get the 60, it will end up costing the same after the alloys and CTM's anyway.

If you want to go carb, remember that Holley just came out with a version specially built for off road use with extreme angles. You must live in an area with no emissions, if I want to swap I have to find a 91 or newer 302.

There are also a few other options as far as carb's go
#1 run a new quadra jet..... BRAND NEW dont cheap out just spend the cash and get a new one, they work nice off road and i have seen alot of jeep's and cheby's running these on crazy cutlines with little or no problems.
#2 holly projection..... good to 300hp and comes with user friendly fuel map software. it works sorta like the chevy TBI system and i have heard alot of good things about it.
#3 holly truck avenger.... its a carb, its just a carb sure its got bells and whistles but milage will suck and yer gonna find its limits at the worst possible time.
now about running full width diffs..... it can be done and it has been done just shoot ajevenson a pm and ask nice fer a pic or two as he did a full width D44 and 9", dont quote me on this but i think the biggest problem with the full width diffs is the trackbar hitting the engine crossmember but if you run a 10" lift and do some trimming it should not be a huge problem.
most of this is just my personal opinion but i hope it gives you a few ideas.

I am currently installing a 76 f-100 D44 and an 88f150 8.8 in my X, it is not really much harder than EB width, if you have any questions go ahead!

What year is the 302 engine?
Is it an HO with rollers?

There are "kits" or you can make your own to convert your engine to EFI. Check out the Ford Motorsport catalog.

Hotweels mentioned the Holly projection system. I have heard good things about this setup, it's not cheap, and it alone does not make 300 HP (just to clearify)

The carb system may seem easier to set up, but I didn;t think my EFI system was very difficult either. In either case I would recomend you replace the wire harness. It is very simple on the carb. engines, a little more complicated on EFI, but not really difficult in my opinion.

The upside to EFI are:
fuel mileage is better.
Less tuning required.
Not as sensitive to environmental changes, especially altitude.
It won't fail you on steep slopes (there are some upgrades for carb systems to compensate for this problem).
Lots of upgrades available for EFI systems to make lots of HP and torque (although same is true of carb)

The downsides are:
1) requires a new wire harness & EEC-IV ecu - recomend 89 - 93 mustang or T-Bird set up
2) Must integrate 12 wires into exisiting electronics.

PS.
I used L&L products motor mounts and headers for my 5.0 conversion.

1) The motor mounts are fine.
2) The headers are marginal. There WILL be clearance problems to contend with. A 1 - 2" body lift might be required.

There really isn't a good solution that I am aware of. All the conversion headers I have heard about have some problems with them. I can give you details about the L&L headers if you so desire.

Thanks for all of the info. I already have the D44 and 9 inch axles, but I am fired up about getting 42's on my Explorer. I guess Ill sell those and pick up some D60s somewhere. I live in Lexington Ky. so it's a little hard to find axles around here for cheap. Maybe Ill have to get them down in Alabama when I go back to Auburn at some point. Is the AOD the best transmission choice? I have heard both good and bad things about it as well as the C4. One final question, I already have Trailmaster 4 inch lift springs on the rear and Im wondering if when I do the spring over in rear if I will get an additional 4 inches or 5 and a half of lift.

To be honest with ya, I would stick with the axles you have and shoot for a smaller tire (I know, damn me for saying that!). IMO, the X just isn't cut out for that big of rubber. Even with axles; the engine, tranny, and t-case just aren't gonna like 42"s. An AtlasII and D60s, built, geared, and locked, will probably outcost the vehicle real quick.

To sum it up. To go for 37"s with the axles you have will be a HELLUVA lot cheaper than doing all that will be needed to properly and safely run 42"s. And remember, the ground clearance difference between 42s and 37s is only 2.5" (actually a little less when you think the D60 pumpkin is bigger). For the extra cost, it just doesn't seem worth it to me.

Just my advice...............

Originally posted by Day
Thanks for all of the info. I already have the D44 and 9 inch axles, but I am fired up about getting 42's on my Explorer. I guess Ill sell those and pick up some D60s somewhere. I live in Lexington Ky. so it's a little hard to find axles around here for cheap. Maybe Ill have to get them down in Alabama when I go back to Auburn at some point. Is the AOD the best transmission choice? I have heard both good and bad things about it as well as the C4. One final question, I already have Trailmaster 4 inch lift springs on the rear and Im wondering if when I do the spring over in rear if I will get an additional 4 inches or 5 and a half of lift.

You aren't far from me as I am in Louisville. If you ever need any work done, let me know. I've done D60 swaps in what is left of my Ex, so if you need parts, etc. I can help you out.

I'm always game for meeting up with an Explorer4x4.com member.

Back