• Register Today It's free!

Fuse frustration

81BullNoseBoy

Reaction score
City, State
Pueblo, Co
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000, Ford, explorer,
Hey guys I’m kind of new here but the reason I joined is because I’ve got a 2000 Ford explore 4.0 that has a serious problem! It keeps blowing a fuse in the engine bay witch makes it so I can’t accelerate unless I ease on to the throttle very slowly I can get it up to highway speeds but I’m talking like it takes 200 yards to get up 45mph!! If I try to press the throttle like normal it does sort of a light shutter and just slows to a stop and eventually dies. I’m having trouble figuring out what is on the circuit that is causing the fuse to blow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

According to the picture I just upload its number 13

Thats the input sensor power circuit. Feeds all the important sensors. Check the egr circuit for rubbing on exhaust resulting in melted wiring and a short circuit.

Also, look for wire contact from 02 sensor wires on front drive shaft. sometimes the harness falls and allow the wire to rub resulting in a short there-

Fuse 13 supplies power to the heater elements in the O2 sensors, more than likely you have an O2 sensor that has shorted to ground.

Unplug all O2 sensors, before and after the catalytic converters. Replace the fuse, turn the key on and check to see if the fuse has blown. If not than you know one of the sensors is bad. Turn key off, plug one sensor in, turn the key on and check if the fuse blows. Continue this until you find the sensors that blows the fuse.

ALWAYS TURN THE KEY OFF WHEN UNPLUGGING OR RECONNECTING ANY ELECTRICAL SENSORS.

Back