• Register Today It's free!

Gas leak... more like pouring out

BlkSquad

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'15 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
hey guys, so i put gas in my ex for a little road trip and got to a redlight and a nice guy in another truck pulled up beside me and told me i had something pouring out from under my truck. I noticed my gas hand had moved a considerable amount. So i pulled over and it was dripping really bad from around the drivers side of the gas tank. later on, while going back home I had to stop to refuel just to make it home, as i was putting more gas in I noticed that it wasn't leaking until I turned the truck back on. I really hope that is enough info for you guys to give me some ideas. on what to troubleshoot and what is most likely the problem. It just started doing it today and I've had no trouble with it doing it before. not even a little bit. I have another ex that I can swap the gas tank in case someone has messed with it to get my gas out, but mine is a 98 sport and my parts truck is a 97 4door. idk if they are compatible.
thanks for the help in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you might have leaky fuel line since it only leaks when running.

Sounds like you might have leaky fuel line since it only leaks when running.

that's what i was thinking really but I really just want a consensus opinion since I'm still kinda new to messing with my truck. how hard is it to check/replace the fuel line?

that's what i was thinking really but I really just want a consensus opinion since I'm still kinda new to messing with my truck. how hard is it to check/replace the fuel line?

Should be pretty easy to find if it's leaking that badly. The gas line runs underneath the truck; I believe up the driver's side, since the fuel filter is right undeneath the drivers seat at the outside rail. Put the rear end up on jackstands (unless you are small enough to slide underneath with it on the ground), crank it up and look for the leak. If you're lucky, it will be on a part of the gas line that is easy to reach.

Itll be hard if u have to drop the tank, hopefully u dont.

Same problem

The last time I pulled into the driveway and shut off the engine (a few days ago) I thought I smelled gas fumes. I opened the hood and the liftgate but it didn't smell stronger so I forgot about it. Today I drove out of my subdivision and at the first stop light I saw a man get out of his vehicle behind me and wave his hand and then point at the rear of my Sport. When the light changed I immediately pulled into a parking lot and walked to the rear of my vehicle. Gas was pouring out of the area in front of the tank. I was surprised I had enough fuel pressure to make it back to my home driveway. For those thinking about dual exhausts consider that my Sport would have caught on fire if the exhaust had been near the fuel leak. I didn't have time to investigate since I was late for a meeting. I did notice that when the ignition was off the fuel leak stopped. This afternoon I had a few minutes to check again. I visually inspected the fuel filter and it's connections hoping that might be the cause but they looked good. I'll have to pressurize the fuel line to find the leak but I suspect its at the outlet of the fuel tank.

Put the car key on "ON" without starting the engine. That should start the fuel pump and pressurize the fuel line.
PS: Don't make sparks aroud it, don't pull it close to the house....

tank fuel line

I turned the ignition on for 1 second and then shut it off and checked for drips. The fuel is running down the front of the fuel tank so I probably need to replace the fuel line from the tank to the filter. The photo below by johnny23toronto shows the top of the fuel tank.
FuelTank.jpg

Maybe I'll get lucky and the connection has just worked loose. I plan to drop the tank instead of cutting an access hole.

can't siphon tank

I pulled my Sport into the garage today to start repairing my major fuel leak. I blocked the front wheels, jacked up the rear axle and positioned jack stands under each side of the axle. I disconnected the filler and vent hoses on the rear of the tank. Even though the last time I checked the tank was half full I was unable to siphon any fuel using either opening. I tried a 5/8 inch and a 3/8 inch outside diameter hose in both openings and never got the end wet. It seems like there is a baffle that prevents the hose from dropping to the bottom of the tank. Gasoline weighs slightly more than 6 pounds per gallon so I'll have to prepare for an extra 60 pounds of weight when lowering the tank.

So what'd it end up being for you Dale?

flexible hose split

So what'd it end up being for you Dale?

The flexible hose that goes from the tank to the rigid fuel line split. I believe it is usually a nonreusable heat shrink type hose. Mine had been replaced by a previous owner (probably when replacing the fuel pump) and low pressure fuel injection hose was used. I replaced the hose with the high pressure grade hose. See my registry for more information.

Back