Gas Mileage Question | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gas Mileage Question

IZwack said:
After larger tires, I used to get crap gas mileage before i regeared to 4.56s (drove it this way for a few months) ... but after regear, i got better gas mileage (like Creager).. and i dont think ive changed in how i drive

I can definitely see now where regearing to 4.56 would help mpg if you were running larger tires with a 3.27. With a matched tire/gear combo, your overall engine revolutions/mile would be about the same with the smaller tires and OEM gears, so fuel economy would be relatively unchanged (as long as overall drivetrain friction and tire rolling resistance were about the same).

Thanks for the insight!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

CDW6212R said:
Has any work been done to the engine, ever? The pre 2002 SOHC 4.0 engines should have the two tensioners replaced, as well as the cam cassettes. The rear cassette is evidently much less likely to fail, but the front should be replaced if the mileage is over, say 50k. How does the engine sound when started, cold? Are there any valvetrain sounding noises at any time?

You should look seriously at servicing those cam drive parts. If it's not under warrantee it could be very expensive to wait until the engine blows. Good luck,
Don

Sorry for not getting back on this sooner for some reason I haven't been getting e-mail updates on replies unless I reply back. Weird :confused:

Anyway the camshaft tensioners were taken care of in a recall 00m12 by ford in 2001, 2 new throttle bodies under recall, intake manifold gasket these were done between 2001 and 2002. Injection system cleaned May of 2003 and a new thermostat in July 2004. Other than that a few coolant flush and fills as well as Oil changes every 3K

I'm wondering about the cam tenisioners though because I'm getting that metallic rattle under hard acceleration similar to what was described in the recall. I'm guessing ,haven't called ford, the recall on those tensioners is closed by now. The engine sounds o.k. at start up revs to 1000 rpm's or so on ignition then settles in around 500. But you get that occasional miss/sputter feel but the tach doesn't move. Checked mileage yesterday,only half tank through but gas dropped below $2 so I figured I better take advantage of it, and it came in around 17.5-18mpg mixed hwy and suburbia driving.

Kona

I get crappy mileage on my 2002 4.0. 4x4. I have been averaging about 10 -14 mixed highway and city. I just changed my plugs to motorcraft platinium and new wires. I think I must have a bad Oxygen sensor. I am not getting a cel so can't take to dealer. They want to charge $90 if they can't find a problem. I definately used to get rather great mileage more like 20mpg. The truck idles really rough. Wish the freaken O2 sensors would give a CEL so i can take it to dealer for warranty replacement.

im getting 15.29 on my first real tank i have ran through it. thats with my 96 OHV 4x4 with 3:73s and 31" tires. and alot!! of WOT drving. thats some mixed drving. but mostly city drving at 45-50MPH.

Kona, do ask your mechanic or Ford about the recall for the tensioners and cam cassettes. I was told that the tensioner recall was only for the front one. The kit includes that, a check valve for it, and o-rings for the intake. I believe the cam cassette recall only addressed the front one. You ought to be sure that the rear tansioner was replaced, and also the front cam cassette. That rear tensioner is relatively easy to change, it's comes out the rear side of the passenger head. I don't know if the AC is in the way, my chassis is bare.
Don

I was going over all my paperwork(repair orders) for everything that I listed above done under the extended warranty (thankfully I antied up the cash for that, I think it paid for itself) The paperwork I have says "replaced camshaft tensioner and intake manifold gaskets pertaining to recall". I wouldn't think the dealer shop I had it done at would have anymore info than what the tech wrote on the paperwork. But I get the feeling from what I'm hearing that this might be related to the camshaft tensioner. For lack of a better description or a sound bite it kind of sounds like a metallic gurgle/rattle when you get on the gas pretty good.

I'll put a call into the shop tommorrow and see if they have anything listed for that repair differently or if there is a possible recall for it. Is there a site somewhere that you can look for recalls that the service departments get?

That might be a bigger project than I want to handle any idea on cost for a mechanic to do it?

Kona

oops hit post twice......sorry.

I just bought mine saturday, 123Kmiles and its OHC 4.0 gets 20.X mpg. backroads at the limit, "speed control" as much as possible.

Kona, it soounds like your recall was just for the front tensioner. I bought that kit to start with, then the other tensioner, front cam cassette, and jackshaft chain later. The kit includes the front tensioner, the check valve which holds oil in that tensioner, and the gaskets required to do the job. It cost around $30. The other parts were around $100 for me.

If you have do have symptoms pointing towards the valvetrain, you should avoid driving it until you can have some more work done with those parts. Don't stress the valvetrain(wide open throttle, hard acceleration, etc.) Special tools are required, do search here for some of the threads which describe the repair work. Good luck,
Don

where would be a good place to start with improving gas mileage? i know driving habits would be #1. but what would be next? i figured i'd get a K&N filter, and maybe a different muffler or a cat back, but i cant find one for an 4 door with the the "auto leveling" suspension. i'm looking for cheap stuff, its my daily driver right now so its got to be stuff i can do on a day off or in a limited amont of time.

I am looking for an ARC module from a 99-01 Explorer, and I have the 95-98 ARC shocks. They may be a little bigger than normal shocks, but you should be able to use just about any muffler, etc. for a 99 four door. Buy them without mentioning the ARC suspension, and have them installed by someone who can make them fit. If the fit is tight, a slight adjustment can be made to fit the exhaust.

For best fuel mileage, perform all maintenance. Get the drivetrain in the best tune that you can. Try to use as many synthetic fluids as you can afford. A PCM chip or flasher can help some also. Ask one of the tuners here about your vehicle, its usage, and the type of gas. Good luck,
Don

Back