Gas pedal tension adjustment | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gas pedal tension adjustment

FordGuy76

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer XLT
Really enjoying my '18 XLT but it would be perfect if I could somehow make the gas pedal tension stiffer....I have long legs but a shorter torso, so when I get the seat up to its max height, I find my feet are still too close to the pedals. Since they're close, if I let my right foot rest on the gas pedal even a little bit, I find it incredibly sensitive and the car will accelerate quite a bit....I find I have to turn my foot sideways and only put the toe of my shoe on it to keep it under control; on longer drives it gets harder to stay comfortable.

Any ideas as to what can be done? Initially thought about putting something between the pedal arm and the floor to add some resistance but don't want to create a safety issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can look to see what kind of spring is on the pedal itself maybe buy a second spring and add to it. Or remove it and replace with a stiffer spring maybe from the hardware store?

If you have cruise control then anything done to increase resistance to the accelerator etc. might affect that.

Peter

If you have cruise control then anything done to increase resistance to the accelerator etc. might affect that.

Peter
It will not affect that , throttle is electronic when increasing or resume cruise control it does not move the physical pedal itself it just sends the signal through it

It will not affect that , throttle is electronic when increasing or resume cruise control it does not move the physical pedal itself it just sends the signal through it
Now that I'm thinking about it, it might have been the brake pedal. I was seeing if the brake lights actually came on (they did) when the ACC slowed the vehicle down quickly. It was a long time ago.

Peter

Back