getting a new muffler on all stock '97 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

getting a new muffler on all stock '97 explorer

Leitner6

Reaction score
City, State
Puyallup, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Well, I have a '97 XLT V6 all stock, but I've been playing with the idea of getting an after market muffler but am not sure if I'd have to mess with the catalytic converter.

I already have someone who knows how to weld (good), so that's not an issue.

Any input would be great!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I have a '97 XLT V6 all stock, but I've been playing with the idea of getting an after market muffler but am not sure if I'd have to mess with the catalytic converter.

I already have someone who knows how to weld (good), so that's not an issue.

Any input would be great!

you shouldn't HAVE to mess with the catalytic converter. if you want, you could just weld an aftermarket muffler in the same place as your stock muffler and use the same tubing and everything. although i would at least recommend a .5" larger tailpipe to accommodate a better flowing aftermarket muffler.
i upped from a 2" stock single tailpipe to a 2.5" single tailpipe when i put my Flowmaster on. click the link in my signature if you want pictures and sound clips. my catalytic converters have gone untouched through 3 different aftermarket exhaust systems, that's why they call it a "cat-back" system. because you're only modifying the exhaust components that are after the catalytic converter(s).

edit: to see pictures of how my exhaust is layed out be sure to start the video from the beginning, my link starts the video at 45 seconds where the sound clips begin.

Nope don't have to mess with the cats at all, I'm thinking about doing the same thing to the 98, I'll probably go with a gibson cat back, had one on my 98 4.0 Ranger and it opened it up a little and had a nice sound without being annoying. Fit like a glove too.

Great!

Thanks for the input guys!

Leitner...Hello Neighbor.

There are a few of us in the neighborhood that get together and go offroading every once in a while. If that's your thing, check out the Pacific North-Western Explorers section of this site.

Ryan

Ryan

Thanks for the offer! I'd really like to give that a try some time, I'll look it up!

Back