Getting RFID Keys Programmed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Getting RFID Keys Programmed

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
tomorrow, i'm headed to the Ford dealer to get a second RFID key programmed. last time i had it done they charged me $40. not that bad and $10 cheaper than a locksmith i'd called (i had my own key).

i've heard that some Ace Hardware stores and now some Walmarts can now program these keys. has anyone had this done? are they any cheaper than Ford or a locksmith?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had a couple programmed at Ace. They were
about $50 each, but that included the key.

The Ace keys are coded to be exact duplicates of
the key you give them. They are not programmed
to the vehicle, the existing key code is simply copied
to the new key.

I've had a couple programmed at Ace. They were
about $50 each, but that included the key.

The Ace keys are coded to be exact duplicates of
the key you give them. They are not programmed
to the vehicle, the existing key code is simply copied
to the new key.

thanks for the reply. so i guess Ace has to order a duplicate key special? or do they have a way to program the key to match your original? at any rate, i got an RFID key-blank with a fob remote for $16.95 (shipping included) off ebay. i guess i'll have Ford do this one, but i'll keep Ace in mind if i need a second key again in the future.

Lowe's has a programer machine If you buy a key it is $78 Don't know what they would charge to program your key. MIght do it for a rekey fee thats $5.00 never thought to ask I just do it when I am at work.

yeah ace was $75 about 3 weeks ago. IMO i know its a copy of the key i have but my original was broke and I ddint want to chance it falling off and costing new key+tow.

A copy or new all I care is if it works. I don't know how the dealer does it but the other places have a computer thing you put the old key in, it reads the chip then you put the new key in and puts that info on the new chip. the key part is done just like cutting a regular key. I bought some keys off e bay and just cut them and programmed them at work I was able to do it for free cuz I work there but they wouldn't charge to much to a customer I don't think.

well, i ended up going to the Ford dealer. they cut my new ebay key and programmed it for $45. i don't know why Ace (or Lowes) charges so much. you'd think they would be a cheaper alternative if all they have to do is stick 2 keys in a machine and push a button, but whatever works in your situation i guess. as to weather the key is a "copy" or has it's own ID, i don't see a difference.

Now that you have 2 keys you can program your own from now on. Just buy the key and have it cut.

Fair enough. :)

It's all good. NP.

$78 at Lowe's is including the key with the chip,what you already had not just cut and programthats included when you buy the key I will find out what they charge to cut and program only.

Guess local stores price how they like. I bought two new keys, cut, and programmed at Ace for $30 a piece here in the land of Chicago super-rip-off-deals less than 2 months ago.

However, if you go to Ace or Lowes, and have a copy made. Meaning they copy your original including the chip, your PATS module would see it as the same key. So you would not be able to program any other keys since the car only sees the one key. Am I wrong with thiz assumption?

However, if you go to Ace or Lowes, and have a copy made. Meaning they copy your original including the chip, your PATS module would see it as the same key. So you would not be able to program any other keys since the car only sees the one key. Am I wrong with thiz assumption?

You are correct in that assumption.

well, as ebay and Ford turned out to the best (and least expensive) option for me. it's kind of mute point. :)

Back