Getting to my dash light replacement. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Getting to my dash light replacement.

Boomyal

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Ltd
In my last query about replacing dash bulbs. Lukas posted the fotos in this link:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317321&page=2

It shows remove the two lower screws in the panel below the steering column (which I have done) but it does not show how that panel is clipped (?) in at it's top. I thought having removed the two screws that the panel would have swung out forward and unclipped, but it doesn't.

I am paranoid about breaking any of the plastic pieces so if someone knows the combination, then shout out.

Also for the top panel around the instrument cluster with the chrome surround, Lukas shows it removed but does not detail either the top or bottom points of anchor to remove it.

Any advice is welcome.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Must be a slow week. Had hoped someone could shed some light, I do not want to go prying and have something snap.

Bad pun by the way. The exploded view only shows the two screws at the bottom, once you get the lower panel off. It must just pull forward, probably with spring clips on the sides/top.

Let me know if that exploded parts diagram helped, and maybe some pics for the rest of us next time we have to do this! :D

Let me know if that exploded parts diagram helped, and maybe some pics for the rest of us next time we have to do this! :D

I am just about to tackle the removal of the lower panel. The diagram was pretty clear on where the anchor snouts were for the top of the panel.

The upper panel diagram was not too clear on that. There are two screws at the bottom that become exposed once you get the lower panel off but you can't see any top anchor points. Maybe it will become clearer once I remove the two screws.

It also appears that the chrome bezel just comes off along with the top panel.

This is where my little set of Harbor Freight plastic prybars will earn their keep.

The bottom panel popped right off, using a little plastic prybar on the top sides of the panel. You simply pry it backwards towards the steering wheel.

Top panel is not as it may seem. Once you remove the two screws at the bottom of the top panel, it would appear that the top of the panel would pop off by lifting it upwards. You can flex the top panel upward enough to see (looking between the bottom of the top panel and the instrument cluster) that there are three bayonet lugs holding the top of the top panel, but you cannot see their orientation. The fact is that you do not pry up to release them, you pull the panel straight back towards the steering wheel to get them to pop free. The lugs and their nylon clips are at a horizontal attitude.

Once those pop free, there is a gizmo on the back lower right hand side of the upper panel. It is directly behind the row of little slits in the panel. I do not know what it is for. It appears to be an air tube and a pair of electrical wires. It easily releases from the back of the panel using a little pocket screw driver to depress the clips. Once done, the upper panel can be lifted up and away.

Now on to the removal of the instrument cluster, itself.

Groovy! What about a picture story-line to help others?

Back