Glass Cleaner | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Glass Cleaner

Psst, Coke is a cheap trick known for cleaning glass also.

well if i had let the clr sit, it may have gotten everythign but the sun was so beaming that it made it dry up really fast... idk if it does the same job dry so i dont really know if the coke would have been able to sit either... and i know coke is good because of its acidic content but i wouldnt know whether to let it sit or to put it on a rag and try to smear everything off with it... im new to cleaning glass haha

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Call me Crazy

I just used Meguiar’s Clay bar to clean my windows before applying Aquapel, and I have to say when I was finished it removed everything. The glass looked like it was new. You might want to give that a try.

I think you're always going to have issues cleaning ANYTHING if you are doing it in the beaming sun. Could be why you're in the spot you're in now, anyway. I always try to wait until the sun goes down enough to where it's not going to be on the car. Or do it early, also. My wife is always wanting me to wash her car at 2pm. F that. Too hot for me AND the car. Try it again at night.

Coke may work but seems sticky! Ugh

I just used Meguiar’s Clay bar to clean my windows before applying Aquapel, and I have to say when I was finished it removed everything. The glass looked like it was new. You might want to give that a try.

my friend suggested it and ive seen it on paint and seemed to work great... i was doubtful tihnking it would work on windows but i may have to give that a shot

I think you're always going to have issues cleaning ANYTHING if you are doing it in the beaming sun. Could be why you're in the spot you're in now, anyway. I always try to wait until the sun goes down enough to where it's not going to be on the car. Or do it early, also. My wife is always wanting me to wash her car at 2pm. F that. Too hot for me AND the car. Try it again at night.

Coke may work but seems sticky! Ugh

haha u have a good point sir... i may try in the air conditioned shop outside... seems more reasonable if i actually use my brain this time haha

And you felt that comment was important enough to bring back a 5 yr old thread?

I'm thinking we have a spammer in our midst. Of his three post they are all in old threads.

I would think that Coke would be sticky, and as for that Rain-X Glass Product, I'm pretty sure that Wal-Mart carries it. The last time I told someone that I was told that he couldn't find it, so remember that every store is a little different.

There is a product called Sparkle Glass Cleaner that comes in a spray bottle and is purple in color. I have used it before, and it is a little different than the other cleaners because it contains a degreaser. I would definitely try that. Last, there is a product that is made in the Midwest called Sprayway. It comes in a non-spray bottle similar to Stoner's Glass (has a blue cap), but it is also a couple dollars cheaper. Hopefully, one of these ideas will help.

The May issue of Motor Trend shows a product by Mother's called California Gold Water Spot Remover for Glass; if anyone tries this hopefully they'll post a review here.

Steve

Denatured alcohol and distilled water. I have used it for years after reading it on another forum.

I use a ratio of 3oz denatured alcohol to 30oz of distilled water. Takes care of everything streak free and wont damage plastic either.

Google it and you will see it's quite popular among detailers.

Water Spots:
Alkaline watermarks (water spots) are calcium and magnesium salts that deposit on the surface after the water has evaporated, the minute crystals bond to the surface and are not re-dissolvable in water. These fall into one of two categories a) surface or b) below surface (etched) water spots.

a) Removing water spots from glass surfaces-mineral deposits can be caused by water from a light summer shower, or a lawn sprinkler system that that dries on the glass surface leaving a calcium / sodium deposit, these can be removed by using detailer's clay to remove any hardened surface deposits, and then using a solvent type cleaner (Klasse All-In-One) for stubborn spots polish them using method b

·Use detailing clay to remove any `hard' surface granules
·To dissolve the alkaline-based, surface/etched mineral water deposits try one or more of the following; a 5:1 solution of distilled water/distilled white vinegar, or distilled water/Isopropyl Alcohol (adjust ratio as required) or equal parts distilled water/distilled white vinegar/Isopropyl alcohol.
·Use a clean spray bottle and 100% cotton Microfiber cloth to apply the solution to the glass surface
·Wipe off any residue from glass and dry with a damp waffle weave towel
·If any `water spots' remain apply distilled white vinegar or Isopropyl alcohol un-diluted to 100% cotton Microfiber towel, using a medium/heavy pressure on glass surface.
·If this does not remove the `water spots' use Autoglym Car Glass PolishTM and #0000 or #000 steel wool, use straight-line motions only (circular motions cause swirl marks)
·For stubborn spots polish them using method b

b) Below surface (etched) water spots-
Can usually be removed using Autoglym Car Glass PolishTM and a random orbital buffer (speed # 4) to level the surface. (See also Windscreen Protective Barrier)

Do not use abrasive cleaner; glass polish or any grade synthetic steel wool on after market-tinted glass or you will probably scratch the surface.

Also you might try:
Zaino Z-12 Glass Polish

Denatured alcohol and distilled water. I have used it for years after reading it on another forum.

I use a ratio of 3oz denatured alcohol to 30oz of distilled water. Takes care of everything streak free and wont damage plastic either.

Google it and you will see it's quite popular among detailers.

I used to detail cars in the 80's. My recipe was 50% water, 25% ammonia, and 25% mint(green) alcohol. That's good glass cleaner, back then it was about $1.75 per gallon.

Some people like vinegar, but they all work well. Make some up, and stop wasting money on Windex etc. Be careful about what you use on window tint though.

please do not ever use steel wool or sand paper. i am in the glass business, the only way to get it off correctly is a product called rare earth of (cerium oxide) and to buff it off. but be care not to buff the tempered glass too much or you will smear it and then it toast from there. it you go to harbor freight or autozone they have a glass buffing kit that will work but please be careful.

i believe vinegar does the trick as well. Just smells like crap after.

Back