Going Down About 2" with a Rake - Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Going Down About 2" with a Rake - Questions

Jstcruz

Reaction score
City, State
Deltona, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Ex XLT & 84 Ranger
I have a 97 XLT 2wd that I want to drop just a little and have a slight rake to it - about .5 - 1 inch of rake. I only want to go down about 2 inches in the front and 1.5 in the back. Issue is I can only find 1" or 2" blocks. Would it cause me any issues to drop the front 2.5 with out getting into any rubbing or bumping issues? Or am I over looking a 1.5" block set?

Thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The "proper" kit with correct size u bolts, and , the blocks have the correct angle for pinion.

http://www.explorerexpress.com/xspec-lowering-9501-explorer-p-914.html

Cheap kits will be substandard in comparison. JMHO

Note this includes increased angle camber adjusters, and an alignment spec sheet for your alignment tech.

I appreciate it Turdle, but that kit seems a bit overpriced. The blocks look just like what you get at advance auto - but they are the height I want :/

I will keep it in mind but I wasnt wanting to spend that much.

I got a set of Moog LifeTime warrenty camber adjusters for $45, and found a block kit for $35 but its 2 inch. I was thinking about just having a shop mill them down for me a little bit.

The camber washers in that kit have more adjustment range
The blocks are cut to a slight angle--not like the common blocks
The u bolts are the proper size for the axle tube.

I think by the time you run around sourcing all the parts, the EE kit is not so "overpriced"

The camber washers in that kit have more adjustment range
The blocks are cut to a slight angle--not like the common blocks
The u bolts are the proper size for the axle tube.

I think by the time you run around sourcing all the parts, the EE kit is not so "overpriced"

I am going to look around a little. I appreciate your input :chug:

I too, have the Advanced Auto kit. It's not bad, but it could benefit from shimming. I have always found EE prices a little bit over the top. Working for an aerospce company, I am first-hand aware that research and development has it's cost, but I am not in agreement with price exploitation. Seems like EE tends to do this. It's kind of like a mod store for "dummies" if you will. Thanks for the information it's always invaluable regardless. I just have to take some time to figure out these angles beause I refuse to let my wallet do the work.

EE no longer appears on the EF vendors list. Unfortunately they won't negotiate
shipping rates to Hawaii. These are the shipping prices for this ZD5630 drop kit.
Bought an Addco rear sway bar, EE's shipping for the X-Spec was $108 to $193.
This is currently the only shipping method available to use on this order.
United Parcel Service (1 x 15lbs) Next Day Air $169.01 2nd Day Air $103.26
Ground $87.91

Since I didnt want to spend the $$ on the EF kit, I went ahead and got a 2" drop block kit and Moog camber bolts from Advance, U-bolts from NAPA and did the TT (or reverse TT) on it. With the alignment the whole project cost me roughly $190 - minus needing a new tie rod end. Dropped the truck about 2 1/4" in the front and 2" in the back (obviously). I didnt have any trouble with vibration or camber adjustment. It Looks sweet and handles a lot better. I am very happy with it! I do appreciate the input regardless guys.

Congrats on the upgrades! I removed my 2" blocks and taking then to the machine shop tomorrow. Going to mill them down to a 3 degree angle. After measuring my TC and Pinion. Looks like that's the differential. Need to find a way to trim these bump stops more too. Will report back soon.

Well I installed my 1.5" blocks milled at 4° and it now vibrates at all speeds, though less overall than last time. Any suggestions? :(

I have the dreaded vibration too. Only around 70 to 80 mph. Going to have the wheels and tires balanced with a load on them soon. I have a 3" block drop in the rear with a 4 degree wedge. the wedge seemed to make it a little better but not to my satisfaction. I am running on 20's and 255/35's. I will report back after the balance.

Its wierd that some have no problems and some have issues after a drop.. I didnt have any issues with mine, and when I flipped the axel on my Ranger it didnt hurt anything. Wonder if my usual luck wore off on you guys :/

How about some pics of your trucks?

Picture0228131845_5_zpsc4d73788.jpg

This is an even 2" front and back. I would love another half inch in the front but my keyes are backed out all the way :(

Its wierd that some have no problems and some have issues after a drop.. I didnt have any issues with mine, and when I flipped the axel on my Ranger it didnt hurt anything. Wonder if my usual luck wore off on you guys :/

How about some pics of your trucks?

Picture0228131845_5_zpsc4d73788.jpg

This is an even 2" front and back. I would love another half inch in the front but my keyes are backed out all the way :(

Did you shave off the front bump stops?

Did you shave off the front bump stops?

Honestly, I took them off with the intention of cutting them and putting them back later, but I havnt had any issues with out them in a few hundred miles of my usual driving. Tell you the truth, I'm not even sure where they are now lol

IMG371.jpg
Still didn't balance the tires but I figured I would upload a pic.

^ That loks pretty sweet man!

Well, 4 degree wedge and road force balance is complete. It helped but not all the way. I still have a vibration at 70 to 80 mph, guess I will have to live with it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back