• Register Today It's free!

going insane....

thtanoyinguy

Reaction score
City, State
poquoson, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1988 Ford BroncoII XLT
:p: first off i am new to this forum, so i would like to say hello and thanks letting me join your forum. my name is travis but i go by thtanoyinguy. i was a ford mechanic for almost 4 years and have always driven dodge..lol.. now i make signs for a living and just recently purchased a 1989 bronco II, 2x4 with the manual tranny for my mother in law. this car is driving me insane. heres the issue.

:mad: while driving the car will loose all power and fall on its face. but if you give it more gas it will recover for about a 1/4 mile and then do it all over again. i and the previous owner have replaced the following with no solution.

map sensor, spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor button, IAC, ignition coil, TPS. i found about 2 tablespoons of oil in the throttle body so i cleaned it out and replaced the pcv valve. none of these have fixed this problem. please if this has happened to any of you please help me out. thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd look at the fuel injectors and/or fuel pressure.

I'd look at the fuel injectors and/or fuel pressure.

yeah i forgot to mention that the ex- owner who is also a ford tech. drove it for a week with a fuel pressure gage on it and he said the fuel pressure never changed during the problem.

does it die at idle? do you have trouble getting it restarted?check the compression in each cylinder, it might have some blown rings.

it did die at idle, but after i replaced the IAC that part of the problem went away, but the running problem has stayed. i have noticed that the more you drive aka the hotter the engine the more it falls on its face.

if it was a compression problem wouldn't it happen all the time instead of an intermittant problem?

Loosen up the three bolts holding the catalytic converters to the header pipes a few turns & drive it. This will allow the engine to breath if the catalytic converters are plugged up.

I Just Read A Thread Like This Over At BroncoII org. This Guy Replaced All 3 Relays On The Inner Fender And The Problem Went Away. This Was After Replacing Every Sensor, Filter, And Buying A New Computer.

I Just Read A Thread Like This Over At BroncoII org. This Guy Replaced All 3 Relays On The Inner Fender And The Problem Went Away. This Was After Replacing Every Sensor, Filter, And Buying A New Computer.

i believe those have already been replaced but i will replace them so i know they have. i forgot to add to the list a pcm out of a junkyard and a new O2 sensor.

There is really a simple way to fix this mate, just take off the radiator cap & drive a different car under it.......hahahahaha :)

awesome find bro...the guy i bought the bronco from only replaced 2 of the 3. i found the third broken and corroded last night. ends up it is a secondary eec relay that controls the fuel system.:thumbsup:

try the o2 sensor and the do a tune up,get a msd blaster coil in stead of the fatory replacment,like 52.00 at pepboys.02 sensor is like 17.

the fuel pump relay would be the first thing I replaced
your BII uses TWO fuel pumps, one in the gas tank and one on the frame rail.
these trucks will run with the boost pump getting weak or dead but will do exactly as you describe

also if the fuel relay and pumps are A-okay then I would suspect the cat converter is clogged next

Your 89 also has a TFI module on the back of the distributor, they can cause all sorts of issues. When I had a 2.9L I carried a spare TFI module and the wrench to install it in my glove box.

the fuel pump relay would be the first thing I replaced
your BII uses TWO fuel pumps, one in the gas tank and one on the frame rail.
these trucks will run with the boost pump getting weak or dead but will do exactly as you describe.

i pulled the secondary relay out and the connectors were rusted and when i shook the relay i could hear that everything had come apart inside. i didn't know there was a secondary pump though, but now its all making sense. I have been looking around but i am having trouble finding one around where i live but replacing that is definitly my next route of action.

:mad: well, i replaced the relay and now the bronco will not even start.... i took the new relay out and re-installed the rusted/corroded/broken piece of crap and the truck fired up...i am so confused and so pissed.....

well, i played around with the relay and got the truck running. it partially fixed the problem. now, while driving the truck is fine, but when you are starting out from a stop going from first to second gear it sputters, misses and backfires. but if you speed shift it aka floor the hell out of it through 1st and 2nd it's fine. my next guess would be to replace the fuel pump on the frame rail...would i be right? i mean the following parts have been replaced;
ignition coil, TFI, MAP, TPS, plugs, wires, cap and rotor button, both fuel relays, pcv valve, cleaned throttle body, fuel filter, and the computer. and nothing has fixed it....

oxygen sensor needs to be changed

QUOTE=thtanoyinguy;1730858]:p: first off i am new to this forum, so i would like to say hello and thanks letting me join your forum. my name is travis but i go by thtanoyinguy. i was a ford mechanic for almost 4 years and have always driven dodge..lol.. now i make signs for a living and just recently purchased a 1989 bronco II, 2x4 with the manual tranny for my mother in law. this car is driving me insane. heres the issue.

:mad: while driving the car will loose all power and fall on its face. but if you give it more gas it will recover for about a 1/4 mile and then do it all over again. i and the previous owner have replaced the following with no solution.

map sensor, spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor button, IAC, ignition coil, TPS. i found about 2 tablespoons of oil in the throttle body so i cleaned it out and replaced the pcv valve. none of these have fixed this problem. please if this has happened to any of you please help me out. thanks.[/QUOTE]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did you ever losen of the cats?

Back