Going insane | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Going insane

I just bought a 2015 Ex Sport with factory tow package. We had a 2012 Ex XLT without one but realized a few years later that we needed to tow a new car. The dealership is clueless and good ole internet reading just confused me more when I read there are different versions of the tow packages offered, coupled with a lack of clear information from Ford.

My question is, how do I know (or is it standard) if the brake controller wiring harness is there already. I was able to read, but not confirm that the '15 Sport comes with the Class III tow package. I did see a hitch and 2 other connectors behind the facia

The car weighs 1300lbs so I think I am good with weight.

I have a 15 Limited with tow package, you can see the brake controller plug under the cover by the steering wheel shaft, it could be zip tied to the frame up there, you have to do a little poking around, it is in slightly different spot in the ones I looked at, maybe depends on who installed at the factory, but it should be there, it is an open plug.

So, the '15 tow package does include it universally? I saw other information that says there are different versions (7 pin, 4 pin) and that the harness may or may not be there. Sorry for the added post, just trying to clarify.

Not sure about that, mine has a 7pin and 4 pin connector on back, and the brake controller plug.

I found a video that shows where to find it

Drummerskey1,
Sounds like you are confusing 2 different things:
1. The brake controller wiring harness plugs into a socket under the dashboard (the gray socket in the video linked by Dave97 above). This is a pigtail that connects an electric brake controller to that gray socket. This pigtail is usually found in a bag, perhaps near the spare tire jack, on vehicles equipped with a towing package.
2. The 4- or 7-pin connector would be found under the rear bumper. This is what the actual trailer will plug into, to provide trailer lights, braking voltage, and/or 12V power to the trailer itself. For your 5th gen Explorer (and may other crossover vehicles) you may find this be removing a plastic cover in the center of the rear bumper, again, for vehicle equipped with a towing package.

Back