going to look at a 98 4wd explorer tomorrow | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

going to look at a 98 4wd explorer tomorrow

stackz

Reaction score
City, State
james island, sc
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 5.0 mountie
been wanting to get another after selling my 98 mountie a couple years ago.

found one locally after months of looking that is a 2nd owner that has just sat a couple years as the owners have other cars and now they are downsizing. supposedly only has 200 miles on it since the transmission was rebuilt.

I dont know if this year of explorer is awd or selectable 4wd but regardless is the figure 8 test to check the function of the transfer case applicable to these?

I know to look for slow rolling windows and other regular checks but anything special I should look out for?

it also doesnt have a tow hitch on it ( I can grab one from the u-pull cheap) but what are the differences of tow package vs. non-tow package?

no oil/trans cooler and possibly different gearing? I would assume a non-tow package vehicle would have more highway friendly gears? only towing I'd be doing anyway is .25 miles from my driveway to the neighborhood boat ramp at less than 20mph.

also, this is an eddie bauer edition if that matters and 5.0 engine. blue/tan leather (my favorite color combo too lol)

I've been in fords for quite a while and have used a couple explorer 5.0's in my turbo mustangs (so cheap at the u-pull for block splitting power haha) so I'll take my blue tooth obd2 module and run codes on it and watch sensors while I'm test driving it so I'm not worried there. just not familiar with the 4wd system and its errors and I've forgotten the usual wear/tear items that cause headaches.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if it's a 5.0 it'll be AWD only. as far as what to be checking... the usual stuff (ball joints, brakes, equal tire wear (especially important on AWD)). all my trucks have the trans oil cooler (although they are a bit newer than '98). as far as i know, the rear spring pack is stiffer on the towing package trucks, maybe more heavy duty shocks too. considering how far you plan on towing, unless your boat is over 5000 lbs, i wouldn't be concerned about it. i'd be more concerned about the fact that it's sat for 2 years. people usually don't stop driving a vehicle (especially if they've just put several grand into it for transmission repairs) unless there's something wrong with it. take it for a thorough test drive and figure doing a major service and PM will be required. what are they asking for it?

i believe the 5.0 only came in awd which is all wheel drive all the time. 70/30 split rear to front. check tires to make sure there pretty close to even wear or you might have transfer case issues with the viscous coupling. you can check the sticker either on the rear end or inside the door and the code there will tell you what gear ratio you have and if you have tans cooler.. should be a thread somewhere here about that. check for exhaust leaks.. passenger side manifolds tends to crack (mine did) but that will be pretty easy to hear especially on cold start up. i like to check all fluids to see if there somewhat clean... obviously if there selling to get out of it there not gonna waste money changing them but you can see if there low ..

I'd listen to what Koda has to say. And if it has sat for two years I'd run unless it's real cheap. Why would someone sink thousands into something just to let it sit for a couple years?

I saw this one yesterday but it's a good drive from you and a 4.0. Does anyone know what that light is that's below the tach?

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/cto/3940338652.html

supposedly only has 200 miles on it since the transmission was rebuilt.

You haven't mentioned miles on the vehicle but I see this as a huge red flag.

Hey Todd are you anywhere near Levittown?

I guess I could have looked at that, lol. You're nearly as far away as I am. The reason I asked is there's a vehicle there I bid on on ebay and I have to decide by tomorrow if I want it.

Hi Stack,

sounds like you are getting lots of good advice. I have two of these 5.0 AWDs and I love them. You have to wonder why they have not tried to sell it before now and have let it sit because they do not think it is reliable. They may have a reasonable explanation but I would ask. I would also find out more about the rebuild, it could have a warranty on miles, but likely expired on time. if they don't want to tell you why it has sat, why they are just selling it now and more about the rebuild, you are risking putting in another transmission. As said, all of the usual wear items go bad shocks, brakes, sensors, ball joints, plugs, wires, filters, ... all you can do yourself pretty cheaply as you know. I am sure you know the back wiper likely will not work at some point. I think a lot of folks with these have had their radiators to leak and then replaced as well as cracks in the fan blades. Good luck,

I'd listen to what Koda has to say. And if it has sat for two years I'd run unless it's real cheap. Why would someone sink thousands into something just to let it sit for a couple years?

I saw this one yesterday but it's a good drive from you and a 4.0. Does anyone know what that light is that's below the tach?

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/cto/3940338652.html
abs light, watertown eh? only 40mins from me

yeah, I hear you guys on the whole sitting part but I myself have been guilty of that. I had a ranger and a civic and two mustangs I let sit just because I liked having them but never really drove them....then the wife came along and it was time to sell them lol.

basically, while the explorer was down for transmission repair (parts were backordered at time) they bought another car and once they got it back, they sold their boat so it sat until the HOA got on them to sell it.

its got 180k on it and they want $2100 obo which is the main reason I'm looking at it as I'm going to be selling my 06 f150 lariat 4x4 and just want something to tow on the boatramp at low tide....been stuck on a boat ramp in the past with 2wd.

so feel for binding in the viscus coupling in the transfer case? gotcha. so you cant do the figure8 test to feel for vibrations with these? just look over the tires? I mean it could be alignment or transfer case issues with tire wear. Not concerned about ball joints, etc. with 180k I'm going to replace it all anyway as it more than likely is all worn out regardless.

wasnt aware of the manifold cracking issues since they are tubular (pulled several sets of heads for mustang projects in the past).

and yeah, I intend to smell the oil/trans oil cold before startup. thanks guys!

I need to look up the door tag codes on here if I get a chance today before I go look.

here's the ad for giggles
http://charleston.craigslist.org/cto/3934404027.html

looks nice to me. I am in Lexington SC and the AWDs 5.0 are not all that common in this area from what I have experienced so you might be onto something nice.

looks pretty nice. same colors as my '01 EB. it looks like it's got 16" wheels. the AWD will have the limited slip difs and probably 3:73 gears. i found this free site where you can fill in the VIN number and if will tell you everything the truck was born with...

http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

Back