Good Brake Pads for Cold Climate 3rd Gen | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Good Brake Pads for Cold Climate 3rd Gen

jrford

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'10 Sport Trac
Has anyone found brake pads which work in Cold weather really well? I just replaced my pads and I’m not happy with them Raybestos PF (ABS doesn’t even kick on), so I’m looking a better replacement for wife/kids DD. Don’t want to go Racing or HP as I heard they need to warm up to work well (cold up here) and have long break-in times. I have driven Carbon’s and I rather go metallic.

I’ve seen EBC (green 2k, 6k, 7k or yellow, red, black), Hawk which advertises cold weather formula. Anyone have any luck or experience with any of these? I have read about Performance Friction Carbon Metallic from autozone but the break-in is a concern.

Its an stock ’04 4.6L AWD EB, 245-65 17 tires, it’s a winter driver for sure and some towing. I searched and read for an hour :confused: came across some good suggestions but some are in very warm climates and I need cold, dust don’t matter,

Thanks for any suggestions. :salute: Sorry if I missed that earlier thread . . .+300 hits.

EBC are fairly good. I use Bendix UPs - they are very good in cold, hot, wet or dry, plus less dust than other pads.

I would go with the Friction Master. Advanced sells them. I had a set on my 95X and I put over 80000 miles before I sold it and towed. I live in FL but I did regular trips to PA in the winter with no issues. I recently put the top brand from NAPA on my Expedition and am not happy. I am almost want to just throw them away and put on FM.

Back