got an explorer thats been sitting for 8 months and has hesitation issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

got an explorer thats been sitting for 8 months and has hesitation issues

Darian Key

Reaction score
City, State
Reford, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford explorer
hey guy I just bought a 97 explorer 4 door 2wd 4.0 and it was my uncles before he passed away. he was doing what I can see as a tune up possibly but passed away the night that he started it? anyway it has 2 new spark plug wires and the rest or old and I had to buy a new plug because he had one out and the wire still connected to the coil but I couldn't find the old spark plug so I got a new one just to get it running. I put 4 gallons of fresh gas and a lucas fuel additive and when I started it up it was missing pretty bad. so I drove it home and still has the same miss too it so I got a can of seafoam and seafoamed the motor and put half the can in the gas tank and it runs a little better but still feels like it is only running on 4 cylinders. my buddy and I hooked a scanner up too it and no misfire codes came up but a code for the bank 1 sensor 2 o2 sensor needs to be replaced and it said bank 1 and bank 2 system running too lean. I individually unplugged the wires off the coil while it was running and number 4 and 6 on the coil even being unplugged made no difference to how the motor was running so im guessing the plugs and wires could be the fault or a bad coil? another idea was clogged injectors because it DOES NOT have even CLOSE to full power. my moms bf is always negative about things and says its the timing chain but maybe you guys can help? the truck has 155,000 miles and was well maintained and old person driven. even being in Michigan it has not one spot of rust on it. its still yet unknown why he had only 1 spark plug out and 2 new spark plug wires on the number 3 and 4 cylinder my aunt said the truck ran good before he messed with it. I want to get this truck running good mechanically then ill clean her up. the interior is a good 9/10 and it needs two passenger doors due to a hit and run accident and also some stupid things here and there but not a bad deal for 600. I am mechanically inclined and capable of doing a timing chain on those 4.0's but if I don't have to that would be great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Re check the firing order on bank 2 ( the 456 bank). It is very common to get the wires crossed. ;)

2007-04-29_224559_Ford4.0FO.gif

261618_0900c152801f14b7_1.gif

Yep, check what Turdle said, it is very easy to get that wrong.

ill go ahead and check that right now.

I have it like this
pistons coilpack
3 6 3 4
2 5 2 6
1 4 1 5

is this correct or do i switch the 5 and 4 on the coil pack?

sorry that didn't come out right. the set on the left are the cylinders and right set is coil pack

How much old nasty gas was left in it?

If pulling 4 and 6 made no diff you probably had them backward like Turdle said.

As of now (havent changed filter yet) it has ran threw all the gas I put in it along with the old gas. I have the firing order correct and still pulling the number 4 and 6 have no effect.

got it fixed. the number 6 spark plug had some weird boot on it, it looked like the plug screwed into it then the boot screwed into the head. so that was problem number one, problem two was the number 4 cylinder boot was messed up. my uncle had Alzheimer's at the time he did this so he could have very well accidently put that boot on and put a bad wire on. anyway shes fixed now and even more good news for me I have the 4.0 ohv! I was scared it was the timing chain.

Good job, it's always a relief when it ends upo being something cheap and easy!

Back