• Register Today It's free!

gotta love stealerships

GCDMD

Reaction score
City, State
Minden, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Limited V8
So my 99 Limited V8 AWD, for the 2nd time since I have owned it, has decided to give me a little trouble. With 198K, I'd actually expect trouble considering it has only had an alternator and idler pulley replaced.
No CEL, no codes, no tranny codes or symptoms at idle. Only during load at 1400-1800 RPM, there seems to be a substantial miss/jolt in the drivetrain. Tranny fluid looks brand new, transfercase fluid appears normal, no apparent signs of an engine miss under any other time. wires and plugs only 40K old. I decided to take it to the stealership to see if they could hook up there STAR (not sure if this is the name) computers to it to see if there are any codes my OBD-II couldn't pickup......nada. The tech gets very irritated and told me that putting on "stupid aftermarket junk" like a mobil 1 oil filter, a tranny cooler and non-motorcraft parts (alternator was from NAPA) has caused gross problems in my engine. He also scolded me for using mobil 1 oil, claiming that it "f^$^s up ford engines."
:rolleyes:

I took it home, replaced the spark plugs and wires and it runs perfect again.:D

Man I love stealerships. I do have to say, this 5.0L is the best drivetrain I have ever had. Great motor, great tranny and good running gear. Gotta love the ol' V8 explorers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should have told the tech that you have been putting in cooking sherry in the oil cause it was soooo much cheaper and it runs great! He would be so torqed off I would like to see his expression. LOL

I would have said that its ran fine for almost 200k with the maintenance I've done so far.

Ok but why did you need to replace plugs and wires again if they were only replace 40,000 miles ago ? You bash the dealer tech but he told you what was wrong.Yes?

Sounds like an incompetent boob, probably the owners or bosses kid.

Did the timing chain cover gasket and water pump on mine yesterday, timing chain had minimal slop (sohc lol) and it was a pretty decent job. No rust showing on mine yet, I'm pretty sure I'm going to drive mine till 300k or another 4 years.
My 204k water pump did not even seem bad I did replace it while there. I have the original alt and starter too I almost felt bad not changing the alt while I had off and apart but I seen those last 250k too so I guess I'll run it. I have a great battery.

Great trucks, cant beat a SBF. Also cannot beat the transmission, and tranfer case.

This is the reason most shops don't have the techs talk directly to the customer much. They've all got their own opinions on what will and won't "f-up" a car. As do the rest of us. The only part I'd agree with is that a Motorcraft filter is one of the better on the market. Made by Purolator, for Ford. Then again, Mobil 1 filters are made by Champion Labs. Who also makes K&N and I think AC-Delco and Bosch. Don't quote me on those last two. So that quality Mobil 1 filter isn't going to hurt a darn thing.
Tech might have just been having a bad day. For some of those guys if they can't hang a part on a car it really grates on their nerves.

Ok but why did you need to replace plugs and wires again if they were only replace 40,000 miles ago ? You bash the dealer tech but he told you what was wrong.Yes?

Actually he never suspected any problems with the spark plugs or wires, he thought it was all the superfluous "aftermarket" additions that caused the problem.

Gus-Gorilla, you are correct in your brand associations. I have used motorcraft filters and have had zero problems with them. I do like the price on them too, but I think mobil1 filters are just built a little more solid. Not sure if it is worth the extra expense, I know many on this board like the mobil1s and K&Ns, but beyond minor extended performance, I'm sure a motorcraft would do just as well.

i personally am not a fan of mobil 1 synthetic. i switched 2 cars over to it. it loosened gum up and clogged an oil port for the cam on one car wiping a lobe out on another car it started knocking and i had to redo my bottom end. its great if thats what a vehicle has seen its whole life but when it cleans stuff out it can do some serious damage. as for your miss start at night someplace dark and check the wires for sparks jumping. it wont cause a problem with no load but if its there replacing plug wires will make it run better

Probably would have only made it about 180k if that wrench would have been working on it... :D

i would still use a motorcraft filter with mobile 1....

guess the kid didnt want to deal with your problems....

also most tech in a dealership come from some trade school and if it not what ford put under the hood they are lost....

Yup- nothing like taking my '92 SHO in for an AC issue and the tech telling me that it was no longer covered because there was an aftermarket engine in it... :rolleyes:

Yeah, I would have told him that it wasn't mobil 1 oil, but the cooking oil recovered from the MCDonalds fryers, cuz you'd like your explorer to be green.

That probably would have gotten his panties in a bunch.

Then tell him that it's only the outside of the filter than he is looking at. That you take them apart and rebuilt them.

He'd be ready to tell you to go @#$% yourself after that.

All awesome ideas gentlemen. Whether you are a big fan of synthetic oil (this car has had mobil1 since it had 95K and hasn't had so much as a burp), or would prefer to not use "aftermarket" oil filters, using a non-motorcraft oil filter and synthetic oil will cause a miss like the one I was experiencing. Fuel delivery, ignition system, tranny slipping....I would've expected diagnoses such as those before I would have guessed that my mobil1 filter was causing the problem. :rolleyes: It is just amazing how full of it these stealerships really are. Makes you wonder twice about buying cars from them (unless new).

Yup- nothing like taking my '92 SHO in for an AC issue and the tech telling me that it was no longer covered because there was an aftermarket engine in it... :rolleyes:

See now, that is just ignorance. Talk about throwing blame on the customer whenever possible, even when it doesn't make sense. Half of the time, they don't even know their own product.
:rolleyes:

All awesome ideas gentlemen. Whether you are a big fan of synthetic oil (this car has had mobil1 since it had 95K and hasn't had so much as a burp), or would prefer to not use "aftermarket" oil filters, using a non-motorcraft oil filter and synthetic oil will cause a miss like the one I was experiencing. Fuel delivery, ignition system, tranny slipping....I would've expected diagnoses such as those before I would have guessed that my mobil1 filter was causing the problem. :rolleyes: It is just amazing how full of it these stealerships really are. Makes you wonder twice about buying cars from them (unless new).

technically by fords standard most over head cams, that use after market oil filters turn into problems, esp with vct, and they are not covered under warranty. with after market filters.

most of them are junk and fall apart. or just throw debris into the engine clogging the oil passages.

with that said.

you are not in warranty. you brung your 99 year vehicle in. to me thats easy, quick hrs :)

so.

like i said you hit a new tech that just didnt want to be bothered or try to fix it. sad part is he does not get paid for being at work, he gets paid on flat rate. which is he upsells 2 hrs he made 2 hrs from you, if he does it 10minutes or 2 hrs and 20 min he is paid 2 hrs.

technically by fords standard most over head cams, that use after market oil filters turn into problems, esp with vct, and they are not covered under warranty. with after market filters.

most of them are junk and fall apart. or just throw debris into the engine clogging the oil passages.

with that said.

you are not in warranty. you brung your 99 year vehicle in. to me thats easy, quick hrs :)

so.

like i said you hit a new tech that just didnt want to be bothered or try to fix it. sad part is he does not get paid for being at work, he gets paid on flat rate. which is he upsells 2 hrs he made 2 hrs from you, if he does it 10minutes or 2 hrs and 20 min he is paid 2 hrs.

I agree with your overhead cam statement, but this is a OHV pushrod 5.0L (god bless 'em). And........is there any way I can get on that pay schedule at my work??? :p: ;)

Back