Granatelli vs Maxflow | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Granatelli vs Maxflow

diablo5969

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Versailles, KY (Home) Poughkeepsie, NY (School)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Honda Pilot LX
I want to get a new MAF for the Ex, and when I was looking around I for them on performanceproducts.com, and they had a Granatelli MAF for $315 and a Maxflow MAF for $200. I had heard of Granatelli before and heard it was really good, but is it good enough to justify another $115? Does anyone have a Maxflow? Can anyone tell me how they compare? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i dont know much about the maf's for earlier explorers, but i thought i heard somewhere that you should stay away from granatelli.

you should talk to blk mk8; hes gonna get me a pro-m when i can get the money together. theyre supossed to be pretty good and reasonably priced.

What is a Pro-M? I've never heard of that. Do they have a website or something?

theyre a company that makes maf's. im sure they have a website somewhere, but i dont know what it is. theyre a big company, they make em for mustangs and stuff (and explorers.)

They are made by ProFlow. website at Dead Link Removed

thanks for the link, al.

this is kinda interesting though:

Dead Link Removed

i dont think my sohc is pushing anywhere near that max horsepower, heh. maybe ill just stay stock; at least for now. maybe when my trucks totally done and i have a wad of cash just burning a hole in my pocket, ill get one.

I have a 70mm Granatelli MAS on my 93 OHV 4.0L (88 BII). I love it.
I got it from Truckperformance.com for $199 (on sale last year)

It made a huge performance increase in the high end, throttle response is much better and it works perfectly.
I would reccommend the Granatelli to anyone.

Keep in mind I also have ram air, K&N cone, 95 intake tube, BBK 66mm TB, JBA headers, full 2.5" exhaust, etc....

Did you do the headers at the same time as the MAF? If so, it may have been the headers that gave you the higher end HP.
No one seems to know for sure if the MAF is worth it or not, especially considering the charts we've seen on www.pro-flow.com which tell us to stay stock unless we plan on doubling the horsepower of our rides.
One day, I guess. I've been on the fence for about two months on whether or not to get one. Just haven't heard enough good things.
Karl

It looks like Pro Flow has a bigger MAF than the Granatelli and for like $80 cheaper, too. Did I just read that wrong? Oh well.

When I took the stock airbox out to put on the KKM filter on, I found what looks like it might be a cold air intake of some sort. It's like a box that connected to the stock airbox, and had a hose type thing that runs to just under the right headlight, I believe. Is that a cold air intake of some sort? Because I was talking to someone today, and he said that if it is a cold air intake, then I'm actually losing horsepower by just putting the KKM filter in the engine. He said instead of spending money on a new MAF, I should try to find some way to hook this cold air intake up to the KKM, like build an airbox or something.

Comments/suggestions from the peanut gallery? :D

TTT

Come on guys, I was only kidding about the peanut gallery comment. I really do want ideas on this :(

The hose that runs from the front support near the radiator up to the airbox is designed to pull outside air into the filter. Cold air is denser than hot air, thus getting more oxygen into the fuel mixture.

If you look at http://www.autophysics.com/index.html

and check out their round filter, they have a quick change unit which does what you are talking about. The only problem is trying to run the hose from the passenger side where your cone is to the bottom or front of your vehicle.

I am in the middle of talking with them/and or designing my own which will route the intake over to the driver's side and get the ram air from just above the charcoal canister. Then I can put my dual battery where the airbox was.

what you found under your airbox is the stock airbox feed. It too is very small and restrictive.

The tube coming out of it is the preheater hose connected to the pass side exhaust manifold.

To really benefit from the KKM you should provide it with a cold air feed.

What I did was cut a 4" dia hole in my firewall, where the stock feed used to connect, just below the battery tray on a 88 BII. Then I connected a 4" piece of heavy duty dryer hose and ran it up to the cone filter.

This flows nice cold air directly to the cone filter, sort of a ram air setup.

The next step would be to build a shroud around the filter blocking it off completely from any under hood air, similar to a full K&N FIPK kit.

You can also decrease the tempatures under your hood by running a 180 thermostat, using the larger 4 core aluminum radiator, supercooling fan, heat shielding, etc...

NO I already had my headers installed when I did the Granatelli MAS, it was the only mod I did at the time of installation. The Granatelli made a big difference in overall power and feel. The engine revs quicker and respondes faster tot he gas pedal. Overall power was increased, the largest increase was in the high end, above 3000 RPMS.

I WOULD RECCOMEND a larger MAF to anybody looking for more power from their OHV.

However, like always you are only as good as your smallest bottleneck. So a 70mm MAS will improve throttle response on a stock OHV with an airbox, but it will improve everything when you use it in conjunction with a ram air setup, intake tube, throttle body, headers and exhaust.

then of course ported intakes, etc.. go even further beyond that.

Without actual dyno numbers showing a worthwhile increase in power, it's really hard to justify spending the money on a larger MAF sensor for an otherwise stock motor. The stock sensor and throttle body will support quite a bit more power without being upgraded.

That is true.
I am just telling you what I know from my experience and my own "seat of the pants" feel.

I can however confirm that Granatelli's claims of a smoother idle and better throttle response with the addition of their MAS unit are true. You dont need a dyno to tell you that, you just have to drive the truck before and after.

In my opinion the $200 I spent was well worth it, however $200 towards the purchase of headers would yeild greater gains in power. Of course I already had headers....

Now I'm trying to justify $450 for a custom superchip and Dyno session with the superchip tuner.....

Superchip claims that with my modification I would see an increase of 25+ HP with the addition of a custom chip.

So now, 410Fortune, if I understand correctly, a good plan would be to: Cut a 4 inch hole in the right wheel under the filter, run 4 inch dryer hose from the hole to the very near proximity of the KKM filter so the cold air is brought right to it, then build some sort of shield to keep the cold air with the filter and the warm air away from the filter. Does that sound good?

And also, what material did you make your air shield out of?

Sounds good but DONT cut a 4" hole in the right wheel!

Cut the 4" hole in the radiator support, using the stock intake hole as your starting point (near pass headlight on most explorer's) Some X's use the cone filter already and the airbox is fed from inside the pass side fender, so if you have that one (95+ I think) start there.

I have not built my heat shield yet, when I do it will be plastic, using a plastic welder, or sheet metal.

Basically you are building your own K&N FIPK kit, however K&N does not supply a cold air feed tube, just a shield.

With the 4" hose you can actually get it up over the nose of the filter quite a bit, providing a sort of ram air setup.

I have some pictures of a similar setup, however this was with my 2.9L, before the 4.0L conversion.

Email me if you want them....

I will try to get some pictures of my current setup ASAP.

I've been thinking about that MAF for a while. Glad to hear some good reviews. Well, I'm not sure I'm gonna get headers for my Explorer, but I am trying to figure out how much gain I will get from an MAF. It will feed the mods to my Explorer listed. Oh yeah, and a chip is on its way as well.

In addition 410Fortune I've got some pics of the intake setup I put on my Explorer. Is this kinda what you were talking about?

<<How do you put pics into a post?!?!?!?!>>

Karl

with the BBK tb you will love the new MAS. It really opened up my intake.

If I could do it over again I would do the TB first, then the MAS, but oh well....

You will notice a MUCH smoother idle (well my 93 OHV has 75 K on it, so it depends) and much quicker throttle response.

Have you checked your TB cable to make sure it doesnt have any slack in it?

Originally posted by 410Fortune
Sounds good but DONT cut a 4" hole in the right wheel!

Yeah, I meant the wheel well, not the actual wheel.

I don't really see where you're talking about to bring the hose from the front of the Ex, I don't know where there's enough room. (My friend's Mustang has it's cold-air intake in the right wheel well, so that's why I assumed that that was what to do here.) If you could post or email the pics that'd be great. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pics of the intake

Well, I got the idea form here, and I think Lizardtrac has something like this on his explorer.
410Fortune, is this what you are talking about?
Karl
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed

Back