Completed Project - Great Pumpkin Solid Axle Swap 1993 Ford Explorer XL Rick Horwitz | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project Great Pumpkin Solid Axle Swap 1993 Ford Explorer XL Rick Horwitz

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
My solid axle swap went through two phases of construction. The first utilized Trailmaster 4" coil springs and Rancho 9000 shocks. The setup was a 5 link, that is 4 links plus a panhard bar. The coil spring was allowed to fall way from it's upper mount and was kept in line by a piece of tubular steel which also served as a bump stop.

The axle is a Dana 44 High Pinion design from a '79 Bronco. The axle was shortened for this application. I do not have the measurements. All of the fabrication work was done by FST in Phoenix

Here are photos from Phase 1:
dana44_5.jpg

dana44_11.jpg

dana44_crossmem.jpg

dana44_15.jpg

dana44_21.jpg

pumpkin_springdroop.jpg

rickramp2.jpg

Main drawback to this design was the noise and sloppiness that occured when the coil spring fell away from the top mount. Everyone I wheeled with had to get used to the BANG when the coil popped back in place.

5.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well i was lookin at a 78 f-150 that was in the back yard. and i was thinkin of a solid axle swap. would this be a wise move. 9inch rear end and i think it has a d44. i just am not sure to put the money into re-gearin mine to 4.56 or solid axle

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

If you can get away with full width axles where you live, go for it. You won't regret a SAS.

what do you mean by getting away with it. but yours is dead on what i want to do....

Cops... out here they usually don't care about the tires sticking out. Your area may be different. You may need some big ass fender flares and or flaps.

I almost forgot to add that I have narrowed axles. I just assumed you were wanting to take the axles straight from the F150 and put them on the Ex without cutting them down.

Ttc

Rick I was just wondering.. have you ever considered doing the 4 wheeler magazine top truck challenge? of all the x's on the site, I would think that yours could probably have a chance in it. Could be some prize money in there too!

honestly...i think he would get voted in just because the masses would want to wonder what the crap an explorer is doing out there.....but there are several contestants that have run it on 36s-37s.

thanks Rick that really isnt a problem around here and yes i wnat to use them full width

slravene said:
honestly...i think he would get voted in just because the masses would want to wonder what the crap an explorer is doing out there.....but there are several contestants that have run it on 36s-37s.

there was an explorer and a navaho in the real truck challenge this year ;)

oh i know about those...but TTC...that would be really cool if he got in that.

Sorry to say, but I don't agree with you guys. It would be cool to see an Explorer in a big event like that, but damn, it would hurt to see Rick's Explorer go through such nasty mud, etc and see it go through all of the abuse = lots of broken parts. :eek:

thats part of the game though ;) but yea, i doubt Rick would enjoy that too much...

332 stoker w c6 w 38s on an ex...do i qualify? :D

lets see. run mogs, 38.5 SX ors 39.5 TSLs, 347 Stroker, C6, coilovers front/rear and you are good to go

such a nice rig...the REASON why ive been so obsessed with getting an SAS done...and it shall be done when i go on vacation in may!!hope to see the pumpkin in action one day..

I have a question for you rick. Are you still using the stock explorer pitman arm? I like how the heim from the draglink is mouunted on the top of the pitman arm. That would help me a lot with some clearance issues and tierod over nuckle steering.

No, it's a dropped pitman arm. It also has a tab welded to it to hold the heim joint in a double shear configuration. I'm not in town, otherwise I would take pics.

so rick i think your explorer the bad ass i want to know what axe you used for the 44 i was read the thread and bam there it was 150 cut down i was think on using a jeep 44 like out of and 80s thin i was think on use the old 70s bronco axes with the 9" in the back but i don't know what i want to do with it yet i know i want it to work good where i want to use it. i want it to work . i think the way you got you 4 link is what i want to go with if you would give me a little help and if i get it done i my come out and play on the rock with you guys look alot of fun out there and thinks agine for makeing the bads explorer i have seen and like out there so far

I am glad to see more Explorers on the trail. I want to do a straight axle swap up front. I have a 76 bronco with the trusty 9" rear and Dana 44 front. I see people use axles from full size fords. Will the smaller axles from the 76 bronco work with the Explorer with modifications, should I just keep the 8.8 in the rear or use the 9" and will the 44 up front measure up right even if I need a small wheel spacer on each side? The axles came with the plow prep package so they have limited slip front and rear. I don't mind the stock form but know they are weak I will only be running 32x11.5x15 unless I can get 33's there depending on lift. 3 inch susp. and cut out wheel wells and see what comes close to fittinfg the 4 door for fender flares pocket style (maybe jeep) and if need so a mild body lift but I will try to stay away from that rout for now if I can. Thanks

well you got alot of option i would use the 9" rear and i would get the 4" leaf sprang from like super lift with that 4" sprang under to sprang over well be like 91/2 " to 10" of lift you then can get 36s under it . if you want to go big. look in threads to see how some of the explorer people did theres sas

Back