What is a fuel pressure regulatot? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is a fuel pressure regulatot?

FMExplorer

the original tramp
Reaction score
City, State
Fort Myers, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer EB
What ae they and how can replacing them help performance? Is this something worth doing along with MAF and Throttle body or will the gains be unrealized?

Jon M

------------------
Jon McLeod
'93 XLT
K&N Drop-In
Modified Airbox
Kenwood Audio
(Am/Fm cassette head + 6-disc changer in the center console)
Rancho RS5000's

Next project: Headers, 1.5" lift (add-a-leaf and spacers), 31x10.50's

Jon-I don't know if I can give you a good explaination of what it is and what it does, but here goes. It does exactly what its name suggest, regulating the fuel pressure to the engine. On my '91, its located near the manifold on the passenger's side. Usually the internal diaphram will cease to work or break which causes the fuel pressure to your engine to hit the ceiling. This will cause a very rich fuel condition and loss of mpg. In my case the pressure was measured near 100 psi when it should have been at around 32-38psi. Pressure was so high my engine smoked and missed. It blew fuel into the oil. I changed the FPR, my oil and oil filter. Checked my Bosch P+4s. They were a little black so I just cleaned them off and put them back in. P+4s are great plugs by the way. Engine ran smooth again and my mpg came back to normal. Now, what was the question? I hope I helped explain the function of the FPR. Maybe someone else can do a better job than me.

Jon M,
Check out my posting about my experience with my FPR. It will probably tell you more than you want to know about it. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Ira
91 XLT 4x4

Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

Ira,
Thanks for your help! I actually found that post last night. Very helpful. Again - thanks for the great input.

Jon M

------------------
Jon McLeod
'93 XLT
K&N Drop-In
Modified Airbox
Kenwood Audio
(Am/Fm cassette head + 6-disc changer in the center console)
Rancho RS5000's

Next project: Headers, 1.5" lift (add-a-leaf and spacers), 31x10.50's

Back