• Register Today It's free!

H Rated Tires on Platinum OK?

capzarker

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Platinum
I have a 2020 Explorer Platinum and I just put Michelin Defenders on it, which seem to ride quite nice. These replaced the factory installed Michelin Primacy tires that just didn't last that long. However, I just noticed that the door sticker specifies V rated tires and the Defenders are H rated. Is there any significant issue with running a lower speed rated tire on this vehicle? I still have a few days left to swap them out and wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess a lot depends on fast you drive. A few articles I've read say that H-rated tires should not be installed on a V-rated vehicles. V tires are rated for 149 MPH and H for 130 MPH. Their construction is also different.

Peter

Thanks. With the shortage of tires, the tire place I went to claims I’m over thinking it, but I wasn’t sure. The sticker on the door specifies V. My other vehicles don’t have the speed on the label, only the size.

It's fine, it's just a speed rating. The only problem I see is Michelin Defenders tend to get noisy as they wear. Have them on an Infinity QX70. I had a Porsche Carrera 4 that I ran H rated tires on because the V rated tires would last less than 12,000 miles on the rear. Change the oil, buy new rear tires.

Ditto. The speed ratings are more an indication of how their temperatures rise at higher speeds. The big rating figure is what they should be able to survive, at that constant speed. So keep your speeds down overall and you don't have to worry at all about an H rated tire. The older police cars used H-rated Goodyear tires, I used to buy them for my 86 Crown Vic P71 all the time. The P71 tire ratings went up to V's when they went to 16" tires, in about 2000.

All else equal, when you switch to a more capable AT tire, the speed rating will go down because of the higher rolling resistance. H rated is fine, you don't even need that unless you are involved in police pursuits. ;)

Ditto. The speed ratings are more an indication of how their temperatures rise at higher speeds. The big rating figure is what they should be able to survive, at that constant speed. So keep your speeds down overall and you don't have to worry at all about an H rated tire. The older police cars used H-rated Goodyear tires, I used to buy them for my 86 Crown Vic P71 all the time. The P71 tire ratings went up to V's when they went to 16" tires, in about 2000.

I agree with you on the tires, but my police vehicle enthusiast OCD is forcing me to point out that the '86 was a P72. P71 first appeared in 1993.

The only reason there were V rated tires on police vehicles is because that's what they came with. All of my agencies replacement tires were H rated, and we drove around all night at over 100 MPH.

Excellent choice with the defender’s. Just keep it under 130 mph sustained speeds and you’ll be fine 😂🤣. I think you’ll find the defender to be a much better ride as well.
Enjoy!

I agree with you on the tires, but my police vehicle enthusiast OCD is forcing me to point out that the '86 was a P72. P71 first appeared in 1993.
Okay, I owned my 86 CV and an 85 CV in the early 90's, as my first mail vehicles, and in 1999 bought two 95 CV's. I didn't know about the P71 name until later from the internet. I like the 86 car the best, besides the solid aluminum UCA bushings. Those older models were very tough and I went through a bunch of tires over many years. The old police take off tires I got for $20 each and they lasted me about six months, I bought them a pair at a time. Later the same place began selling them as recaps for $20, which lasted a little longer. But they went away, and I started buying a cheap new tire for $40 each, then prices went up, and my Explorers became the better choice.

Back