• Register Today It's free!

hardwire question

laneo9417

Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
I am looking to hardwire an extra cigarette lighter underneath my floor cupholder/console to power a phone charger (only with the ignition ON or at ACC). I have one of those add-a-circuit set ups that plugs into the fuse box, however, I cant seem to find a power source that shuts off with the ignition. I figured the radio fuse would disconnect power to the cigarette lighter but it is still hot even with the ignition off. Anyone know of a fuse that will kill the power to the new outlet when the ignition is off? I have hardwired things in the past using this method but im getting stumped on this one. Also the add-a-circuit says not to exceed 10amps but im only getting power with fuses that are 20+ amps? Any help is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are 2 power wires going to the radio, one is yellow, and one is red.. One has power all the time and one is switched, I wish I could remember which was which, but it shouldn't be hard to figure out with a test light or a multimeter..

I just took a look at a wiring diagram for the radio in a 98.

Fuse 20, 7.5 Amp, in the Instrument Panel fuse panel is hot only in the Run or Acc positions, and feeds the radio though a yellow with black stripe wire.

Hope this helps.

Fuse 20, 7.5 Amp, in the Instrument Panel fuse panel is hot only in the Run or Acc positions, and feeds the radio though a yellow with black stripe wire.

Hope this helps.

Not sure if I tried this fuse...Ill have to give it a go tomorrow. Thanks for the info!

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I was "thinking" it was the yellow wire but was not 100% sure...

Back