Has anybody here ever done a lowrider conversion? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anybody here ever done a lowrider conversion?

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
It seems that most people like to raise the suspension for off-roading. What about making the suspension adjustable like a lowrider? You could pump it up for off-roading, and lower it for everyday driving. It would be interesting to see some pictures of it if anybody could post them. Most of the time they make other modifications, like chopping the roof, and windshield. I saw pictures of fancy hydraulics that make it bounce with 4 hydraulic pumps, dump valves, etc. I once saw an old Chevy car modified with this kind of stuff, but it seems that the owner had problems with the dump valves. He had to rock the car to get it to lower. Maybe he had faulty valves, or the hydraulic hoses might have had kinks in them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No one lowers explorers....****record sxratches**** Oh wait, they do too. There are a lot of them. No off-roading, but take a look at this thread. ;)

failure?????

Airbags aren't really that great for offroading. They're not the strongest things.

This guys got bags...

303289_22_full.jpg

303289_13_full.jpg

303289_14_full.jpg

From what I've heard, the bags aren't too reliable. They tend to leak, or break. I think that the hydraulic set up would be a lot more durable. The only drawback would be that you would have to find a place to mount the hydraulic pump, auxiliary battery, and valves. The bags have some small air compressor mounted somewhere that doesn't use up that much current. I don't think the air bags could make it bounce though. Another way to lower it would be to use an electric linear actuator with a cable, and pulley set up. The vans that are modified for wheelchair access have this in the rear. This drops it at the flip of a switch, and raises it back up when the actuator reverses. The hydraulic set up has an advantage over the bags, and the linear actuator. It is capable of raising it above the stock height, or lowering it below the stock height.

Dude they sold more Explorer's then any other SUV and they are basically a Ranger based truck.
The Gen I and Gen II Explo have been sliced, diced, layed frame and touched the sky.
Look around there are plenty of lowered trucks on this site.
Some do it for performance, some are done for show/looks, some have been bagged, etc.

That Purple paint is awesome!

Back