Have A part i want off my 97 expo. not sure what it does. can i remove it????? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Have A part i want off my 97 expo. not sure what it does. can i remove it?????

fordX302

Reaction score
City, State
Smyrna,De
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 AWD xlt
on the rear axle of my 97 ford X it has a lil short shock going from the pumpkin to the frame., i put blocks on the rear and took the bolts out of the front. left side is a lil lower. the lil shock has blown out and it fully compressed i belive thats what it making the ride uneaven, im not too fimaliar with what it does and if i need to remove it. also i need to know how to lower the front end more than just the bolts. i found sum new adjusters made for lowering the front, or should i just flip them. im not realy sure how to do it either way. thanks for your input. oh and has anyone turned a 5.0 awd to a 2wd? thats my plan here soon just not sure what i need to buy. thanks again!!! :exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hello is anyone going to help me out? site has never failed me b4ore.

I don't know what that little shock is called by ford, but I call it an anti shake. If you remove it you will notice way bad rear stability, and the shocks will resonate after hard bumps. Leave it on.

Hmmm... it won't hurt you to try it off and see if you can tell the difference. It was a shock designed to mitigate the "65 mph shake" that early model Explorers had, but the 2nd gens never had that problem, so that shock is sort like an appendix IMO. Every one of us that go on offroad trails have removed that shock because it limits wheel travel, and to my knowledge not a single one of us could tell the difference when we removed it.

I don't know if I agree that removing it will affect rear stability since you will still have your rear antisway bar connected. On the other hand -since I believe it has no effect- it won't hurt you to leave it on either. As far as your left rear being a little lower, I doubt if it's that shock's fault. No vehicle is perfectly symmetrical. If you've completely removed your torsion bolts, then you've left your Explorer to level itself according to the measure tolerances over a 112 inch wheelbase... no way it will be perfect. To even your rear again, I suggest reinserting your left torsion bolt and raising your left front about 1/4" - an amount that no one will ever notice. Raising the left front that small amount will exert pressure on the opposite corner of the Explorer and lower the right rear about 3/4". To the naked eye that will even your rear. Try it.

Why do I think that will work? Because I've done the exact opposite thing while raising my Explorer via torsion twist - my left rear was also slightly lower (it's a very common occurance with many of our vehicles) and I evened the back end by lowering my right front/unscrewing the right torsion bolt a very little amount which released pressure off of the left rear and raised it up level with the right rear.

---------
edit:- I think this is the first post I've ever made in a street forum, LOL.

exactly what gjarret said. i took mine off much to my dads dismay, but i havent noticed a difference even at interstate speeds, and i dont have a rear sway bar either. If it were me, i'd remove it and leave it in the garage until you know for sure it has any affect, if it does, just bolt it back on.

I don't see how removing it could cause harm. My 94 did not come with one of those sideways shocks and had zero vibration or shakes. I have the stock one on my 96 and will probably ditch it this spring.

it's also to help axlewrap i hear i got a 1st gen so i dunno

Yes taking it off is noticeable. Very noticeable.
I tried it both ways, My wife noticed without even saying anything. I took it off, she drove it to work and thought it was broken somewhere.
Now use your judgement.

well every explorer is different then. my truck never goes above 70-80(because it cant), and through that speed range i get NO shakes and/or vibrations. I do not think it would hurt for this guy to try it. it is 2 bolts, and usually those shocks are in such bad condition you can compress it with your hand without straining at all. (i compressed mine after i took it off and it stuck like that till i threw it away, i really do not think it could have been doing anything in its current state of condition)

His truck wont fall apart, or get death wobble and put him in a tree if he tries it. Actually a test could probably be done by just disconnecting it from the axle and letting it hang under the car(it might clang against something though). If you try it, tell us the results.

thanks for the great reply's. but as far as the right side higher... the reason i belive the shock might be holding it up is that it has been blown out. its fully compressed. from the drop job on it as far as i know. so its already pretty much broken anyway. im going to take it off in the next few days, if there is a problem ill look around and see if there is and shorter throw shocks i could use. once again thanks for all the help....

Yep I'm lifted not dropped and hadn't thought of the fact that dropping it may have fully compressed that shock to its stop, so it may indeed be responsible. If taking it off doesn't work, go back to my suggestion to reinsert one torsion bolt and slightly raising the opposite corner to even out the rear, it will work.

jtsmith, I do guess everone's vehicle is different. You are the first person I've seen post that they could tell the difference when it was removed. I don't drive mine hard though and stay pretty conservative. I'll be interested in finding out if fordx302's Ex loses stability when he removes it.

What we noticed was a resonating, shaking feeling at 65-70 mph. It was almost like a out of balance tire, but only right after hitting an imperfection in the road. You could really see it when lookng in rear view mirror. It goes away then returns with the right bump again.
I installed the x-spec kit , wife drove the next day to work. That evening I decided to get underneath and re check the nuts and bolts. That shock bugged me so I took it off then. Wife drove again and asked what could have broken. I re installed it aand she asked what I did to fix.
That is my experience with that

GJarret and others... ill post another message when i remove it and let you know my experiance as far as ride control, vibration, overall handling, and the uneaven dropp. thanks for the help. i hope it will go as i plan. no negitive effects. ima cross my fingers. thanks again guys. i get tons of usefull info from this site.!
~~Brent, from Dover, Delaware

JTS did you remove the balancer back there as well? There is a thing back there next to the pinion on the axle that i call my "boat anchor" as its nothign but a designed weight to keep shaking down. When i removed that i got a SMALL shake while going down the interstate one day. But the shock i have realized did nothing but limit my flex. They are both attached together and the first time i removed them i took off both (as i thought they were one piece, but then i noticed what it was a few days later and put the weight back on and there is no shimmy.

I think I just took the shock off.
It was a couple of years ago though, before I tore into engine and stuff
I gonna take a look at this and hop back on, as I seem to remember now cutting off the top collar on this thing to keep it from hitting exhaust.

Back