having some trans issues, need some advice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

having some trans issues, need some advice

offroadford4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Lewisberry, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Eddie
02 eddie 4.0 5r55? 4x4. wife was on way to work friday AM and said that it started to drive funny, like it wouldnt upshift then couldn't go over 35-40 mph. She parked and called my father (he worked close to where she was) and he said that it sounded like something grinding/rattling in the trans when he would do a brake torque. they left it there and she went to work. We went over yesterday and I drove it in the parking lot where it was and didn't see, feel or hear any issue and I even scanned it with my Mac Tools scanner found no codes. so we decided to try and get it home. got only a 1/4 and it started to act up gain, not being able to go over 35/40 mph and wife said the OD light was flashing rapidly. We kept going another 2miles and left at my parents house.

Ive read alot about these trans, seeing solinoid packs, servo bores/pistons, torque converter, and even band issues. so im curious as to what my be the issue due to the symptons. I'm kind of leaning towards a broken band but not sure. I'll run it again a little and try scanning it while the OD light is flashing to see if they show up then. But I don't want to run it much in case it's still repairable.

thoughts, ideas and opinions please. TIA.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This code means that when the transmission tries to activate the solenoid it saw a voltage drop. someone jump in here, if i recall someone told me about a piece of the valve body gasket? coming loose and clogging their trans causing something like this a while back....? drop the pan and check it for crap, change the fluid and filter.

ok so I got the pan off, fluid looks and smells like new. No chunks or pieces in the pan. I pulled the solenoid block and tested it. results were

shift solenoid A 27.6 Ω
shift solenoid B 27.6 Ω
shift solenoid C 27.6 Ω
shift solenoid D 27.4 Ω

PCS A 8.4-8.5 Ω (toggles back and forth)
PCS B 8,4 Ω
PCS C 8.4 Ω

TCC 13.9 Ω

temp sensor 32.1 KΩ

Now from what ive seen so far, everything is in the proper range except the PCS's, which are reading 0.9 Ω higher than what ive seen. Would this cause the issues I'm having? If not next I'll be checkin into the bands and servos.

using this pic from another thread on here i found.
Solenoid_ohm_01.jpg

and as I drove it the other day to get the code, at first startup, I was able to drive normally down the street, accelerating to 50-55mph and it shifted just fine, but right after I slowed down and tried to accelerate again it triggered the OD light to flash and when it shifted up to 3rd, it was like it was almost in neutral. basicaly just free reved

I hope you're not disengaging your overdrive when you are driving or your wife. About 5 years ago I began disengaging my overdrive (thinking it would save gas..stupid me what did I know then) and about a month later my transmission blew. I heard the clutchplates break apart and I ended up paying $2000 to repair my transmission. Make sure your overdrive is ON. That means it should not light up.

Back