• Register Today It's free!

5r55w tcc/trans advice

02LTDXLT

Reaction score
City, State
the "Bridge",Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 limited XLT
2002 Ford Explorer 4wd auto 248k miles on her. Have done a pan drop 2 yrs ago and replaced solenoid pack and fluids.

After hitting some road debris 2 days ago which hit pretty hard on the undercarriage. I drove to my destination with no problem. When I got back in the my truck and begin to began to drive my truck began to whine in second and after driving for about 10 miles the OD off light begin flashing and check transmission came up in the message center. So I took it to a friends shop where he examined the undercarriage and didn't find any dents/ punctures, leaking fluids or any problems. He ran a diagnostics on it and found that the torque converter was stuck. he does not do transmissions and told me that I could still drive it but would get ****ty gas mileage. I drove the car home and checked the transmission fluid level and it was fine. The next day I drove my truck to work and on the way home the car began to shift hard, stall at lights and run like ****.

My question is should I replace the torque converter or should I rebuild the transmission. Or should I buy a used trans?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Should I just do the torque converter?

I have heard if you replace it on a engine with so many miles more problems will start to happen. Or could happen...

What do you guys think? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Thanks for all the input!

60 views and 0 replies?

I say, if all it needs is a torque converter, give it one.
I bought a F.O.R.D. (found on road dead) Aerostar, went all through the transmission, and couldn't find anything wrong. It had stripped the splines in the torque converter. Yay! $90 for a torque converter (and way to much of my time chasing, "nothing's wrong").

Now, the other side of the coin: The torque converter splines stripped because the owner bought a transmission rebuild without changing the torque converter. Things that make you go, "Hmmm."

If a new set of tranny clutches can end the life of a bad spline shaft design, can a new torque converter end an old set of transmission clutches?

I don't think so.
The purpose of the torque converter is to soften the torque pulses to the transmission. The purpose of the transmission is to couple the torque by direct contact. Therefore, a transmission can shift too hard, but a new torque converter can't.

That's my opinion.

ps, don't complain that 60 people don't know squat about transmissions. That's normal.

Here's my take,
At 250k its amazing that trans hasn't had issues. I had a 5R55W rebuilt on my 03' 4.0 (at 125k) and that set me back $3500. I'm fairly certain the issues were related to neglecting regular maintenance. IMHO I don't think it's worth going to the trouble and expense of just doing the converter. If you have access to a shop lift and tools that make life easier then MAYBE it's worth trying. If you can pull the trans yourself you will save on labor. It not you will pay for doing the job twice. If the trans has been serviced regularly then again I say maybe it's worth it. Sorry to be so negative but I've pulled a trans on my back under a vehicle a few times, by myself. It usually comes down to money and what you're willing to spend on a vehicle with 250k.
Good luck man
John

Yebbut...a torque converter is on the outside of the transmission. You can do that with a minimum of skills and zero gaskets.

Yebbut...250K?:eek:

Depends. Are you getting rid of it?
Can you do the insides?
I would surely do the rebuild if I was going to keep the car.
But...I can do a rebuild.
Can you?

Yebbut...a torque converter is on the outside of the transmission. You can do that with a minimum of skills and zero gaskets.

Yebbut...250K?:eek:

Depends. Are you getting rid of it?
Can you do the insides?
I would surely do the rebuild if I was going to keep the car.
But...I can do a rebuild.
Can you?
lol

Stall at lights means torque converter clutch is ENGAGED. Just like a manual trans. clutch, don't depress clutch pedal at standstill, engine stalls. Not rocket science. imp

Back