Headlight bulbs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Headlight bulbs

I am looking for new headlight bulbs as opposed to doing a HID conversions. I was looking at Eurodesignz 8500k blue from ebay. Has anyone tried them? I am looking for something that is brigher then stock and give the appereance of the luxury cars (BMW, etc...) I want something that is going to be good in the rain, I live in Florida. I heard some after market lights are horrible in rainy condistions.
What brand is everyone using and what is your experience with them. Color, visibility, etc...

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do the HID conversion, nothing like it. prices have really come down on them too, wont cost much more than a set of silverstars

I like my Head and Fog SilverStars.

I've run both HIDs and SilverStars and the HIDs are far more superior in terms of lighting up the road. I highly suggest going with those.

Silverstars are good. I have them in my Ex now. But when riding/driving my roomates talon with HIDs and then gettin back into my truck, its so much different. I feel almost blind. Getting ready to buy a kit.

-Spyke

I am looking for new headlight bulbs as opposed to doing a HID conversions. I was looking at Eurodesignz 8500k blue from ebay. Has anyone tried them? I am looking for something that is brigher then stock and give the appereance of the luxury cars (BMW, etc...) I want something that is going to be good in the rain, I live in Florida. I heard some after market lights are horrible in rainy condistions.
What brand is everyone using and what is your experience with them. Color, visibility, etc...

Thanks

i've ran them eurodesignz 8500k bulbs. there not bad, they light up really white with blue tint. but i went ahead and put in 15,000k h.i.d. kit.never will go back to regular bulbs!

^^^^^ 15k HIDs?????? :thumbdwn:

i had 10,000k and there just wasn't enough blue. so i went with the 15,000k and there perfect. i still can see great.

Anybody have a link to a good HID kit? Or a manufacturer to trust? Anybody can make junk. "Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time." (Chris Farley - Tommy Boy) Plus what about our foglamps. Things have to match you know.

www.vvme.com I bought my kit from there over 6 months ago and have had absolutely no issues thus far. Good pricing as well.

Silverstars to be safe... They are bright. Real bright.

Its up to you really, but to be on the safe side without pissing off the law I'd go with just the bulbs.

I have decided to purchase some Eurodezigns H13 6000k Super White Ultra off ebay. I can't seem to find mathching color in fog lights. I do see they carry a 9005 in the same color.
I have done research and can't really find if they 9005 is going to melt my wires, housing, plastic in my 2006 explorer eddie bauer which takes a 9145 fog light.. I also understand that i have to shave off about 1/4 of inch off the one clip. i am pretty sure i can handle that.

I am very curious as to whether the 9005 will damage anything.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

B

"Superwhite" bulbs are very poor at providing enough light to see the road, especially in rainy conditions or on dark pavement.

Read up on superwhite bulbs, they work by filtering the light, which reduces the amount of light the bulbs put out, and then they try to compensate for the reduction by making the filament burn brighter, which reduces bulb life.

The Sylvania Silverstars are a good choice if you MUST have a "Fake HID" bulb for some reason. Most people don't care what color your headlights are, though, other than when the glare from the "HID" bulbs or a poor HID conversion goes straight into their eyes.

If you want drop-in high quality bulbs that will give the MOST light, you'll want either Sylvania XtraVision or Philips Hi-Visibility bulbs in the stock H13 size.

Don't use a 9005 headlight bulb in a fog light. You're better off finding a quality 9145 bulb. Stock or non-"superwhite" bulbs work better in fog lights, anyway, if you actually use them in inclement weather.

Another excellent choice for a non-HID bulb is Philips X-Treme Power bulbs.

After running across the reviews online, I bought some for cheap off eBay for my Paseo, and my Explorer. In my Paseo, the difference was huge in light output when compared to almost new Sylvania Silverstars. I hated the Silverstars. Terrible in any weather. They were definately worth a shot since I paid $10 for two news pairs from Habitat for Humanity :thumbsup: I was waiting for Toshiba to design a 9003 HIR bulb, but then the Philips were found.

The ones for my Explorer are not yet installed. They are waiting to be installed, along with new OEM headlights sitting in my garage
cow-left.gif

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/produc...cessory_of_the_year_philips_xtreme_power.html
- Auto Express ‘Best Buy’ (2007 and 2008).
- Auto Express Accessory of the Year (2007).
- Auto Express Product Honours Winner (2008 and 2009).

workpic1.jpg

Bulbs like the Philips X-treme power +80% and Osram Silverstar +50% (not Sylvania Silverstar) are fantastic. Unfortunately, they are only available in popular european sizes like H4/H7, and not the plastic-base type American bulbs like 9004, 9007, and H13.

GE made Nighthawk +50% bulbs in American sizes for awhile that were even available at walmart, but they don't seem to be as easy to find these days.

I can't find the same color in the 9145 but i can in the 9005.

does anyone know if i have to worry about anything melting? i do know the 9005 is the stock/standard wattage. I just dont feel like have to replace more stuff because it melted. I appreciate everyones response so far!

B

I currently bought h13 6000k Super White Ultra.
I found 9145 8500k blue fogs.
I found 9005 6000k Super White Ultra fogs.

does anyone think that 6000k headlights would look alright with 8500k fogs?

Bulbs like the Philips X-treme power +80% and Osram Silverstar +50% (not Sylvania Silverstar) are fantastic. Unfortunately, they are only available in popular european sizes like H4/H7, and not the plastic-base type American bulbs like 9004, 9007, and H13.

You can get X-Treme Power in 9007 and H13.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow. I'd go with the X-treme power then, hands down.

Too bad they don't make them in a 9004.

Back