• Register Today It's free!

Headlight question

Machine090767

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT
As most know, on a single bulb dual filament headlight, the Low beam filament turns off when the high beams are activated. However, tonight, I found out that my Explorer's headlights keep both the low and high beams on when in high beam. (not just "flash to pass")
I bought this truck a year ago, nothing has been added or done to the electrical, everything is stock.
Question is: Is this normal for the Gen. 4 explorer?
I'm not complaining, just curious.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep! just verified. both filaments stay on when in high beam mode.

A more effective arrangement IMO is to be able to have the Fog lights on all the time without headlights needed. Any retrofit for that. My own Sante Fe I modded and do that and we are both fitted with bright yellow fog lights. Yellow makes a big difference filling in the road details with Nokya 2500k bulbs

on my 2007 the lows turn off when high is selected .... because of this when I changed to HID's I had to ditch the highs because all the high mode does is activate a magnet to raise the beam and the HID shuts off because its still powered by the low..... not that it matters because I never use high beams

https://www.ebay.com/itm/150552958842?ul_noapp=true

I found this high beam/ fog kit on eBay. Looks easy to install and won't cause canbus issues according to the seller.

that kits just an over priced use of wires and a relay.... you can make one for well under $10 and free if you have a nice electrical parts collection..... just wire up a 5 pin relay powered from the battery and triggered with the high beam wire

Oh, is that it basically. I would not come off the battery myself but have to add a good fuse to the circuit. Factory wires are very thing. Exposing for corrosion has to be looked at in the event it needs to be repaired later you don't want to be a in a tight spot. Its not really a mod that over rides the interior circuitry which is where it needs to be address.

The mod I have for a Sante Fe is done inside which allows the Fog lights on at anytime. No headlamps need to be on at all.

This has auto headlight so the switch is not normally used.

Back