Heated/Cooled Seats Voice Command | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heated/Cooled Seats Voice Command

tpchristian

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer
Does anyone know the voice commands to control the heating/cooling of the seats. I can't seem to locate this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are not any .....

There are not any .....

Seriously? Well this should be added to the feature request list, along with being able to turn off all the lighting, another shortcoming that Ford "should" be able to easily rectify.

Is there a list of commands, besides the manuals.

You can get a list on the touch screen by going to menu->help.

When you guys have the A/C seats on high can you feel air coming out when you put the back of your hand against the seat?

I cant so I was wondering if mine are working correctly.

Try laying a piece of paper on your seat...and see if it floats around.

SGT, same here. But it's not a Ford thing. The A/C seats in our JGC act the same way. The vast majority of the air comes out of the seat cushion; very little air comes out of the seat back.

tpchristian, the voice command is: honey, please turn on the seats' a/c :D

I had the same thought about the a/c seats not functioning, then I thought about how they work. It would take an incredible amount of airpressure to lift my bum/back off of the seat. Instead, they provide airflow to cool the material supporting our bodies and vent that warmed air. There may be some direct airflow through the perforations, but I'd be surprised if it is any meaningful amount when I am sitting on it.

What I thought would be nice to have is the ability to run both the heater and air flow. Why? When you hop in with damp clothes on (swimming, rain, whatever) the combination would help dry things... I think.

Seriously? Well this should be added to the feature request list, along with being able to turn off all the lighting, another shortcoming that Ford "should" be able to easily rectify.
tpchristian & calb,
I agree that this would be a “cool” idea! :D That would be a good submission to www.TheFordStory.com under the “Your Ideas” section. :)

When you guys have the A/C seats on high can you feel air coming out when you put the back of your hand against the seat?

I cant so I was wondering if mine are working correctly.
Sgt1411,
I looked into this and found you should feel the air coming out even if it’s not going to blow papers off the seat. If you can’t feel anything, that’s when a dealer should look at it.

Cory

There are not any .....

That and rear climate were big misses. They should have voice controls, especially with what a pain the rear climate is compared to the front.

No car on the market has A/C cooled seats. They are actually ventilated seats. The air is pulled through the seat and exhausted underneath. It is to pull the heat off your body effectively creating a cooling effect. If you placed a piece of paper on the seat it should be sucked to the seat.

No car on the market has A/C cooled seats. They are actually ventilated seats. The air is pulled through the seat and exhausted underneath. It is to pull the heat off your body effectively creating a cooling effect. If you placed a piece of paper on the seat it should be sucked to the seat.

The seats in the Explorer, and several other cars, are in fact actively cooled.

Check out Amerigon to see how it is done. Here is another link at Amerigon explaining how it works.

I have been in several cars with cooled seats and it was obvious that the seat was cooled below the ambient temp inside the car.

Went to the dealer today and the tech explained that the A/C air only flows when the seat sensor detects a body in the seat. So according to him if you were to turn on the A/C seats and stand at your drivers door holding a paper on the seat to see if it floats or sucks to the seat would not work.

You need to be in the seat.

I got into a friends Lexus and sat in the seat with the A/C seat on and you can feel cold air so Im still at a loss.

Tech said all they do is hook up the diagnostic test equipment and see if there are any trouble codes.

Maybe the filter under the seat needs to be replaced or is blocked.

Cooled seats
The cooled seats will only function when the engine is running.
To operate the cooled seats:
Press the cooled seat symbol to
cycle through the various cooling
settings and off. Cooler settings are
indicated by more indicator lights.
If the engine falls below 350 rpm while the cooled seats are on, the
feature will turn itself off and will need to be reactivated.
Note: When the heated/cooled front seat is active, you will be able to
hear the fan operating inside the seat. This is normal.
Climate controlled seats air filter replacement

The climate controlled seat system includes air filters that must be
replaced periodically. Refer to the Scheduled maintenance information
for more information.

Maybe the filter under the seat needs to be replaced or is blocked.

Cooled seats
The cooled seats will only function when the engine is running.
To operate the cooled seats:
Press the cooled seat symbol to
cycle through the various cooling
settings and off. Cooler settings are
indicated by more indicator lights.
If the engine falls below 350 rpm while the cooled seats are on, the
feature will turn itself off and will need to be reactivated.
Note: When the heated/cooled front seat is active, you will be able to
hear the fan operating inside the seat. This is normal.
Climate controlled seats air filter replacement

The climate controlled seat system includes air filters that must be
replaced periodically. Refer to the Scheduled maintenance information
for more information.

Ithought the seats pick up the ambient coolness inside the car and recirculates it through the seat, not necessarily directly from the AC supply.
Heating, I believe, works by heating coils in the cushion. On my last trip my cooled seats didn't seem to cool so well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

tpchristian, the voice command is: honey, please turn on the seats' a/c :D

I'm going to try this one on our drive to the beach tomorrow. We'll see how it goes! :D

Back