• Register Today It's free!

Heated seat element

Mr.Baker

Reaction score
City, State
LaMoure, ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer XLT
I determined that the heating element is bad on the drives side seat of my wifes 2017 Explorer. Does anyone know the OEM part # for the element? I've searched the internet but can't seem to find it.

Thanks for the help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, mine just went too, and dealer said the entire lower seat needs to be replaced.

Yeah, mine just went too, and dealer said the entire lower seat needs to be replaced.
Well I just ordered the lower seat cushion with the element in it. Its supposed to be here around Nov 24-25. I will keep you posted on how the installation goes.

It may likely have something to do with the upholstery color/material that matches any particular vehicle.
Thanks. I was wondering because although the 'pads' show with/without heat/cooled seats, there is no mention of colour etc. Perhaps the user has to remove and reuse their current seat cover.

Peter

The parts list shows the cover as separate. I would assume it can be reused and just replace the guts underneath.Was quoted in the neighborhood of CAD$600 parts & labour, so I’ll find out on Friday when I go back to pick mine up how much is new vs existing.

This is the part # that I ordered: FB5Z-78632A23-L

Seat cover gets removed, cushion with the heating element gets replaced and seat cover gets put back on.

Appreciate the feedback.:thumbsup:

Peter

This is the part # that I ordered: FB5Z-78632A23-L

Seat cover gets removed, cushion with the heating element gets replaced and seat cover gets put back on.
Any update to how this repair went? I seems to have the same issue!

Repair went really good. It took me about 2 hrs and I took my time.

Heres the run down of the repair:

1. I plugged in the new element to verify that it worked. Vehicle has to be running for the heated seats to work
2. Moved the seat all the way forward
3. Removed the 2 13mm bolts that are holding the back of the seat down
4. Moved the seat all the way back
5. Unhooked negative battery cable
6. Removed the 2 13mm bolts that are holding the front of the seat down
7. Leaned the seat back and unhooked the main wire harness going to the seat
8. Removed seat through the back door
9. Removed the panel that has the seat controls. There are 2 T25 screws to remove. One on the front inside of the panel and one on the back of the panel. You have to remove the panel by sliding it up and off the seat frame. I unhooked the wire harness so I could completely remove the panel
10. Unhooked the clips that are holding the seat cushion to the seat frame. One big clip on the front, 2 on the back and I think there was 3 on each side of the seat. I just pushed down on the cushion and then unhooked the clips. The bottom cushion should now be able to be removed from the seat frame
11. Removed the leather cover from the cushion. If you look at the new cushion you will see little orange clips. That is how the cover is secured to the cushion. I started at the back corner and worked my way around the cushion to the other side and then unhooked it from the middle clips.

Now you are ready to reassemble:

1. Put leather cover on the new seat cushion by snapping it into the orange clips. I started by doing one side and the front, then I did the two rows in the middle and then I did the final side
2. Mount the seat cushion back to the seat frame. Make sure you stuff the cushion into the leather cover as much as you can. After you do that you have to hook the black clips back to the seat frame. I did the back 2 first, did both sides next and did the big front clip last. Push down on the seat cushion to hook them to the frame just like you did to remove it
3. Plug the control panel wire harness back in. Remount the control panel. I slid the front in and then slid the back down into place. After its back in place you can screw it to the frame with the 2 T25 screws.
4. Put the seat back into the vehicle. I put a towel over the center console so I didn't scratch it if I hit it with the seat when I put it back into the vehicle.
5. Plug main wire harness back in
6. Bolt the front down with the 13mm bolts
7. Hooked negative battery cable back up
8. Move seat forward
9. Bolt the back down with the 13mm bolts
10. Drive the vehicle around for a bit to verify that its working. Mine got so hot I thought my ass was going to start on fire haha
11. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP!!! Let your wife know that you fixed her heated seat and score some brownie points!

There is nothing to this repair but if anybody has any questions don't be afraid to ask me. I searched the internet for months trying to figure out how to fix this issue and couldn't find anything so hopefully this will help people.

Repair went really good. It took me about 2 hrs and I took my time.

Heres the run down of the repair:

1. I plugged in the new element to verify that it worked. Vehicle has to be running for the heated seats to work
2. Moved the seat all the way forward
3. Removed the 2 13mm bolts that are holding the back of the seat down
4. Moved the seat all the way back
5. Unhooked negative battery cable
6. Removed the 2 13mm bolts that are holding the front of the seat down
7. Leaned the seat back and unhooked the main wire harness going to the seat
8. Removed seat through the back door
9. Removed the panel that has the seat controls. There are 2 T25 screws to remove. One on the front inside of the panel and one on the back of the panel. You have to remove the panel by sliding it up and off the seat frame. I unhooked the wire harness so I could completely remove the panel
10. Unhooked the clips that are holding the seat cushion to the seat frame. One big clip on the front, 2 on the back and I think there was 3 on each side of the seat. I just pushed down on the cushion and then unhooked the clips. The bottom cushion should now be able to be removed from the seat frame
11. Removed the leather cover from the cushion. If you look at the new cushion you will see little orange clips. That is how the cover is secured to the cushion. I started at the back corner and worked my way around the cushion to the other side and then unhooked it from the middle clips.

Now you are ready to reassemble:

1. Put leather cover on the new seat cushion by snapping it into the orange clips. I started by doing one side and the front, then I did the two rows in the middle and then I did the final side
2. Mount the seat cushion back to the seat frame. Make sure you stuff the cushion into the leather cover as much as you can. After you do that you have to hook the black clips back to the seat frame. I did the back 2 first, did both sides next and did the big front clip last. Push down on the seat cushion to hook them to the frame just like you did to remove it
3. Plug the control panel wire harness back in. Remount the control panel. I slid the front in and then slid the back down into place. After its back in place you can screw it to the frame with the 2 T25 screws.
4. Put the seat back into the vehicle. I put a towel over the center console so I didn't scratch it if I hit it with the seat when I put it back into the vehicle.
5. Plug main wire harness back in
6. Bolt the front down with the 13mm bolts
7. Hooked negative battery cable back up
8. Move seat forward
9. Bolt the back down with the 13mm bolts
10. Drive the vehicle around for a bit to verify that its working. Mine got so hot I thought my ass was going to start on fire haha
11. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP!!! Let your wife know that you fixed her heated seat and score some brownie points!

There is nothing to this repair but if anybody has any questions don't be afraid to ask me. I searched the internet for months trying to figure out how to fix this issue and couldn't find anything so hopefully this will help people.
Thanks for the write up! I had my 16 in at the dealer for a warranty repair and was quoted $550 for the new heater pad. I think i'll try this myself! One more question... does replacing the the cusion, also make heat pad for your back work. Neither of mine are working.

Thanks for the write up! I had my 16 in at the dealer for a warranty repair and was quoted $550 for the new heater pad. I think i'll try this myself! One more question... does replacing the the cusion, also make heat pad for your back work. Neither of mine are working.
What I replaced is only for the bottom cushion. I honestly didn't even think about the heated back cushion. Is there heat in the back cushion for sure? I will have to check my wifes Explorer and see if it has it and if its working or not.

Both the seat cushion and back should be heated, at least they were in my 2017 Platinum. Many have reported that the back section doesn't get very warm.

Peter

I should have mentioned how I verified that the element was bad. Underneath the seat towards the front there is a 4 wire connection. The cable has a sticker on it that says FoMoCo FB53_14D698_AE_FSC. I unplugged that connector and took a multimeter and ohmed out the wires in the plug that go towards the element. There are 2 sets of wires that "should" ohm out together and they are diagonal from each other. So the wire on the top right will ohm out to the wire on the bottom left and the wire on the top left will ohm out to the wire on the bottom right. On my element 2 of the wires ohmed out, I don't remember what the resistance was though. But on the other 2 wires my multimeter showed "OL" which means open line so that means the element was broke somewhere in the cushion. If you test yours and you have resistance on both sets of wires I would test the passenger seat and compare the two.

We noticed that our 2016 driver heated seat stopped working as well. I wonder if this is the issue.

That was a mighty nifty trick you did ohming out those wires, been contemplating how to check on the wife's 06 merc, nice work!

Hi All! Same issue here, drivers seat heating element bad. Ford Premiumcare NOT covering it! How much was the part? May take a stab at it since the dealership wants $600 to replace. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi All! Same issue here, drivers seat heating element bad. Ford Premiumcare NOT covering it! How much was the part? May take a stab at it since the dealership wants $600 to replace. Thanks

This is where I ordered it from. If you run into any issues with the install feel free to message me.

Back