Heater/AC fan suddenly goes full blast | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heater/AC fan suddenly goes full blast

Hawk312

Reaction score
City, State
York, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
I have a 2011 Explorer Limited. For some reason, just recently, if you have the heater or the A/C running, suddenly the fans or blower will accelerate to full speed on its own. The only way to stop this is to turn off the heater or A/C. If you try to push the "down" button to slow down the fans, nothing happens. You can also hear a "beep" coming from the dash, like when you are selecting something on the LCD display. It will do this no matter what screen you are in in the LCD display. Sometimes it wont let you turn off the heater/A/C unless you turn down or power off the radio??
Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I take it that this is something new. The heater will go on full in order to bring the temperature up to the setting you have chosen but that should not prevent you from turning down that fan speed. Almost sound like some kind of control module isn't working. Perhaps some other members may have ideas.

Since you are on the Ford Explorer forum, please update your profile to show 2011 Explorer Limited or 2011 Limited so it shows in the margin. THat can be very helpful at times. If you still have the 2001 Firehawk, you can add that to a signature. Thanks.

Peter

Does the fan speed indicator change on the screen? If not you could have a shorted blower fan controller.

Thanks guys.
I know it has been a while, but I have watched this behavior enough to give more detailed information.
The fan still goes up to full blast. It does indicate it is changing on the screen, with the bars moving to the full position on the screen. If I push the button on the screen to decrease the speed, it tries to decrease but keeps speeding back up. The only way I have found to stop it when it does this is to adjust the stereo volume using the big round physical volume control (the control on the screen doesn`t help). I also notice that the physical fan control buttons just below the volume control don't seem to be working. So I am assuming there is some kind of short in the A/C and stereo control buttons? I am assuming I am going to have to pull the face off somehow?
Thanks.

I would get Forscan and monitor the button PIDs for the FCIM (front controls interface module).

Will the Forscan find anything that the Autel 629 wont find? There are no error codes according to that.
Thanks.

Something interesting I found out today while troubleshooting another issue. this seems to happen when the engine fans kick on. :crazy::crazy:

The touch control panel is malfunctioning. It thinks you are pressing one of the HVAC buttons. I saw the same issue on a previous Explorer I looked at. It also would beep when first turned on but would eventually go away. A new touch panel fixed the issue.

The touch control panel is malfunctioning. It thinks you are pressing one of the HVAC buttons. I saw the same issue on a previous Explorer I looked at. It also would beep when first turned on but would eventually go away. A new touch panel fixed the issue.
By the "touch control panel", do you mean the LCD touch screen? Or the panel below with the big volume knob? I am hoping the latter, as I would imagine the LCD screen is a fortune to replace.
Thanks.

Back