Heater core leak can I fix it myself??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heater core leak can I fix it myself???

Tito_146

Reaction score
City, State
Coral Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer
Ok guys this is the situation. My 08 Eddie Bauer with auto temp had a leak for days I could not locate. I finally found the leak coming from a drain on top of the tranny tunnel housing. Everything I read points to the heater core. Where do I find instructions on how to fix it? If not available how much would it cost me?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Orlando

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's usually the drain for the air conditioner condensation.

Yes it is, but it is coolant coming out of it.

Anybody? I know is the drain for the AC, but is coolant coming from it, and a lot of it. It feels and smells like coolant. With the vehicle running, all the windows closed and AC on recycle, I can smell the coolant coming from the vents.

Thanks in advance

Orlando

I wish i could tell you how to do it but I dont have any experience to offer on that part. My guess is your going to have to remove most of the dash to get to the Heater Core.

Try googling it. YouTube has many how to vids. Maybe they have one for you.

Thanks for the replies. Yes I already did the Google videos but they show an older type Explorer. I have a DVD repair shop but only covers up to 02 Explorers.

Thanks

Orlando

That is all I found as well, just older models. I would imagine these are very similar in nature.

If you really don't wan't to pull the dash and the leak is not that bad a small can of ground black pepper will fix it for a while.

If you really don't wan't to pull the dash and the leak is not that bad a small can of ground black pepper will fix it for a while.

Lol.

Thanks for the replies. Yes I already did the Google videos but they show an older type Explorer. I have a DVD repair shop but only covers up to 02 Explorers.

Thanks

Orlando

Tito, go to ebay and buy the maintenance manual for it. it will practically show you how to disassemble the vehicle. I have it for mine. plus the wiring diagrams too. I can tell you it is really worth the price.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-FORD-E...anuals_Literature&hash=item257752442e&vxp=mtr

I would say the attaching points should be similar to the older 02-05 body since the main body is the same. I just did a write up in the 02-05 section for dash removal and heater core swap. The write up is not done and is kind of a 5 mile long mess but it's a start. Nobody had posted anywhere how to remove the dash in the newer explorers. I would almost bet, the hvac box on firewall that contains the heater and evaporator cores is almost the same if not the same. I will be adding pics to my write up that include the hvac box and stuff. It's not as hard as it looks, but very time consuming. If it is like the 02-05 behind the dash, your heater core is on the bottom of the box. They do share the same drain hole you found the antifreeze coming from. And it can be done without disconnecting the ac lines, if it's the same hvac box or very close.

As a side note, both of the dashes i pulled were with the manual temp controls. There may be difference in controls and stuff on the auto temp equipped hvac boxes.

Thank you all for the replies. I'm sure going to invest some money on the manual. I have a repair manual DVD for 02 - 05. I got a quote from a shop of $550 + parts. I was told it is around 7 hours of work. I have some time and plenty of tools I think I could tackle this.

Duranged84 I'll take a look at your write up. Again thank you all.

Orlando

You can do it, 7 hours sounds a bit high. I pulled 2 complete interiors, and put one back, almost completely by myself in less that 12 taking breaks in the freezing cold. Complete color change including carpet headliner seat belts the entire thing. That's with doing the heater core while it was apart, adding a couple factory options my Mounty didn't have but the donor truck did, etc.

Back