Heater Cores!

Texan01

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT
After doing the heater core for the 3rd time in my X, I got to wondering;

How many of ya'll had to replace the heater core and how often? I seem to get about 2-3 years out of mine before it starts to leak.

Needless to say I'm improving on my speed, I'm down from 14 hours to 5 hours.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After doing the heater core for the 3rd time in my X, I got to wondering;

How many of ya'll had to replace the heater core and how often? I seem to get about 2-3 years out of mine before it starts to leak.

Needless to say I'm improving on my speed, I'm down from 14 hours to 5 hours.

mine is original with no problems. 15 years so far.

The one that I took out of my Explorer appeared to be the original and it also appeared to be made of Aluminum.
The aftermarket I bought from O'reilly's Auto looks like copper or copper coated.

If the one from O'reilly's goes bad I will go buy the next one from the Ford dealership.

Have you checked your elecrolosis potential?

Use a multimeter set to 1 v, or the lowest scale

hold the negative probe on ground-and dip the positive in the radiator. Now tell me the voltage.

It will be less than 1 volt--

I'll check for voltage when I get back home, right now soaking up Colorado air. (plus helping a friend build a house, help his neighbors and generally be sociable)

I've owned my '95 since.... well, since '95.

The only components in my heating/cooling system I've had to replace are the thermostat (once) and heater bypass valve (once). It's been relatively trouble free.

Same here... heater core is 1999 original equipment.

As mentioned before these things should last for years without trouble. If you do have this problem over and over, your cooling system needs more attention.

Back