heater hose help | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

heater hose help

Nice... you obviously don't spend as much time in Narragansett Bay as the rest of us...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice... you obviously don't spend as much time in Narragansett Bay as the rest of us...

________
Narragansett Bay has been poluted for the last 50 years. 60 years ago people drove horse driven wagons full of fire wood across the frozen Nar. Bay from Barrington beach to Rocky point. Thats how clean the water was back then. Notice that N.Bay never freezes any more? Too much polution in the Bay now. Thats why it won't freeze anymore.
There is only a couple of areas of N.Bay in R.I. that we can swim in. Its GONE. Forget it! Even with "Save the Bay" it is still getting worse.
I did my part for years but finally gave up.
With the "SMALLEST" state in the U.S.A., R.I. having the "BIGGEST landfill in the U.S.A." and getting bigger taking other states trash in, draining into the Situate resorvor how much longer do you think we will be using the S resorvor for drinking water?
Anyway, you need to address the Companys in R.I. to start getting clean water around here again. Good luck on that. We tried for 30 years and it only got worse.
I bullraked for years and tried to stop the polution without success.
While I applaud your concern I am sad to say that I don't think it will help much.
BTW: How many guys at home are flushing while having a pan catching the drained mixture stopping the flow every 2 minutes to drain the pan?

I hear ya. Wasn't really trying to lecture you, but I do sail in that bay all the time on a very small boat, and the pollution is very obvious to me.

Let's face it, none of us are actually tree-huggers or we wouldn't be driving these gas guzzlers in the first place.

But, I do know that antifreeze is one of the more toxic things out there, and just because the bay has been abused for years, that doesn't make me want to dump more crap into it. That's why I asked how people were handling this.

In the "old" days, everybody dumped everything everywhere (washing paint brushes in the sink, dumping oil in the gutter, not to mention the insane industrial dumping), and as your post poignantly points out, we're all suffering the effects of it now.

BTW, I used to live within a mile of that landfill, and I think Save the Bay is the biggest joke going, but those topics would take too much energy for me to deal with here...

91explorer1009, did you finish? For novices, the flush, "T" thing is okay, some of us just take excellent care of our vehicles and don't need the complicated processes etc.

Replace the heater hoses, yes with factory type prebent stuff, those are the weak links, they wear out and blow. Use as little antifreeze as possible, water is a better coolant, less water percentage means higher operating temperatures. Drain as much of the old coolant of of the radiator and save to recycle. Do the drain/flush thing as needed, dirty cooling systems do need that.

Buy Water Weter(Redline) from Autozone etc, a coolant tester, and start with a gallon of antifreeze plus one of distilled water. The system may hold over three gallons, but start with that, and test the freeze level with the tester. Add water until the tester gets to above your lowest Winter climate temperature. I'm betting that you will not need any more antifreeze. If so add it to the overflow bottle. Check coolant level after driving shortly, and a day or two later(several heat cycles).

I use no more than one gallon of antifreeze here, we do see single digits a couple weeks of the Winter. With long life coolant(five years etc.) the cooling system stays clean and does well for years. Good luck,

Head spinning

So would it be beating a dead horse to ask again about the hoses? I just installed a new heater valve and I have NO IDEA if the hoses coming out the front to the engine and water pump are backwards - or does it matter? What I mean is, if there is an Upper and Lower connection on the valve and one goes to the top by the thermostat and one goes down under by the manifold - does it matter which one is which?

I have a leak at the base of where the heater core hose connects to what I thought was a heater core valve,its close to the thermostat, any suggestions to what this might be.?

Back