• Register Today It's free!

Heater issues

ohiodisneydad

Reaction score
City, State
Middletown, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer XLT
OK gents, help me out here. My 2010 Explorer blew a small coolant hose. It was the smallest one coming from the top of the thermostat housing. I got the hose from a ford dealer, which was impossible to find after market, and installed it. Vehicle does not over heat, temp holds steady and it takes the normal time to get up to temp but I now have no heat. I know the blend door actuator needs replaced, which luckily the 2010 model has an access port that allows me to fix the issue without tearing the dash or console out. I have not replaced the actuator yet but will this week. I'm not certain that will fix my problem.

I have no coolant leaks that I can see, the thermostat was removed and checked and it is not stuck. I'm hoping this is a clog and I won't have to replace the heater core. I hate to say this but I'm about done with this Explorer. She's been a good car but she's nickle and diming me to death. It's our family truckster and she's been down for most of the year. I still have a left front hub assembly and tie rods to install on both sides. The tie rods are mostly preventative maintenance because I got a good deal on them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well most likely its the blend door. You could feel the heater hoses in the engine capartment to see if they are warm/hot. The other option is there is air in the heater core. Do you have rear heat and does it work?

Well most likely its the blend door. You could feel the heater hoses in the engine capartment to see if they are warm/hot. The other option is there is air in the heater core. Do you have rear heat and does it work?
It does have rear heat and it also does not work. I know the blend door needs replaced and I'll get on that this week once I order it from Silver State Ford Parts.

Then I would say you have have air in the heater cores or it could be the heator control valve that's bad.

Got an update. Decided to take it to a repair shop. I just don't have the time to troubleshoot it right now. I let it run for a bit to make certain it wouldn't overheat. When I put the vehicle in drive and took off I heard what sounded like a rush of water through a drain. I assume there was an air bubble in the lines and it cleared. I was getting heat through the vents. But when I stop at a light or sign, the vents blow a little colder. I have plenty of heat when I move but not when I stop.

Back