• Register Today It's free!

heater problems

huskerbam

Reaction score
City, State
denver
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 xlt explorer
i need help anybody know about heaters in 05 explorers no heat temp is up and clicking noise under driver side

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome husker and that sux bout ur x

i need help anybody know about heaters in 05 explorers no heat temp is up and clicking noise under driver side

You'll need some 1/4" drive metric sockets and extensions. I used this procedure to replace mine. New actuator is $75.00 from Ford. Confirm it's the actuator and not the blend door before you purchase the actuator. It's not hard to do, just time consuming and be very limber to get your body and hands in the right places. Good Luck-Mine is a 2005 XLT.

Assuming you have the single control (not dual), then turn it all the way to cold before you shut off the motor and disconnect the battery. Take out the center console. THere are only a few screws. (Hint: Under the front little rubber mat there is one screw, take that out. THen at the back of that piece by the storage compartment grab hold and lift up. It will come out. That exposes four screws (two at the front and two in the middle. Take those out. There are also two at the back at the bottom of the console behind two little easy to snap out covers. Take those out. Disconnect all the electrical connectors.)
Then remove the plastic panel under the steering column, there are only two screws. DO NOT remove the steering column. Also remove the brace under the steering wheel and the floor duct on drivers side. (2 screws)
Then remove the brace to the right of the gas pedal. There are two nuts and two bolts.
Now you can look in from the bottom of the center console and see the actuator and a screw, and also in from the side where you removed the brace and see another one. There is another one at about 8 oclock you can't hardly see but have to feel for (the other two were at about 5 and 11). Remove those three and wiggle the actuator out. It seems like it won't come out, but it will with a little finesse (not force). Same way going in.

I've got the same problem. It's an 02 Explorer, and I've been told 02 was a transition year, and none of the pictures I've seen on the forum look anything at all like what I see under my dash. I can't even find the actuator. Is it up in the middle of the dash behind the radio? And do I need to remmove the dash to get to it? Please help, it's cold in St. Louis this time of year

Back